The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

Winter travel plans?

Converse on all ski and snowboard subjects - All things skiing, snowboarding, Q&A, gear, etc.

Please attempt to keep all comments within this forum related to skiing or snowboarding related content.

Profanity and Comments STRONGLY Monitored and enforced. (Keep it Clean! G-Rated)
jt3
Intermediate

Marzski- hopefully things will go smoothly at Jackson. I’ll be on the other side of the pass...airBNBs are a little busier this season it appears..
marzski
Advanced

jt3 wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:49 am Marzski- hopefully things will go smoothly at Jackson. I’ll be on the other side of the pass...airBNBs are a little busier this season it appears..
Yep, from what I've read rentals are up in all regions with ski resorts.

We opted to stay slopeside in Teton Village and rent thru JH Resorts. Figured it would be easier in the event the resort is forced to close. Although I don't expect that to happen during early season. Harder to say in January if there is an outbreak started by travelers during the holidays.

Hope to get to GT on the Saturday. But only going to make the drive if there will be good visibility since my friends are intermediates.
2023-24: Wolf Creek in Dec, Massanutten in Jan, Feb; GT, Big Sky; Crested Butte; Alta/Snowbird in April.
jt3
Intermediate

solid plan! if you go to Targhee, you can take them to the Sacajawea lift area, almost regardless of the fog on the rest of the mtn. there are a few areas that could keep you interested over there while they get their laps in. If you can, try to make your way over to the Blackfoot lift and find the scraps over to lookers left closer to the boundary line! good stuff!
marzski
Advanced

jt3 wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:57 pm solid plan! if you go to Targhee, you can take them to the Sacajawea lift area, almost regardless of the fog on the rest of the mtn. there are a few areas that could keep you interested over there while they get their laps in. If you can, try to make your way over to the Blackfoot lift and find the scraps over to lookers left closer to the boundary line! good stuff!
Yeah, they could ski but it's really not worth the driving time from Teton Village. The point of going would be to see the views. We'd probably either ski another day at JH or go play at Snow King. I and one of my friends has Indy and Snow King joined Indy.

I and my primary ski buddy got very, very lucky during our last trip to GT. We stopped there on the way from SLC to Bozeman/Big Sky. There had been a powder storm almost every day for the entire week before we arrived for Pres. Day weekend. Snowed another 9 inches after lifts closed the day before we hit the slopes. What was unusual . . . it was a blue sky day! When lifts opened there was actually a pretty long line for Dreamcatcher. We headed over to Sac where there was no line and plenty of choices for first tracks. I definitely enjoyed the new Blackfoot lift over the slow double.

It's only in the last 4-5 years that I've improved enough with the help of lessons, lots of mileage, and gotten lucky often enough to have experience in deep powder. The two days at GT were great fun!

Bonus were a powder storm at Bridger afterwards and some fresh snow at Big Sky too. We had to drive to MT and back to SLC the long way, but the timing was okay so at least we didn't have to drive during a snowstorm but just between storms.
2023-24: Wolf Creek in Dec, Massanutten in Jan, Feb; GT, Big Sky; Crested Butte; Alta/Snowbird in April.
davidski
Expert

Hey folks -- Southwest is doing their fall sale, just noticed and it ends today.

Round trips to Denver in Jan and feb for $220
swamphox
Expert

Somewhere out west via indy pass. Most likely idaho or china peak
Live slow, die whenever.....

Days on Snow 22-23
Cat 5
app 1
sugar 1
ober 1
winterplace 2
Homewood 3
Old Fart
Beginner

Cat Pass with Indy Pass Add-On

January WV trip to T-line/Canann/Winterplace
Possible ID trip in March on Indy Pass, Brundage & Tamarack; depending on how the winter shakes out
MSDOG
Expert

Plan on going to Taos and Red River in late January if we can get tickets. Understand they are going to limit # of skiers per day.
marzski
Advanced

Had a very good time even with limited terrain open at JH, GT, and Alta in the past couple weeks. Just missed the opening of Supreme. But we did get deep powder turns on Ballroom and elsewhere at Alta after a 15+ inch storm late last week.

The Southwest planes to SLC from RDU on a Tuesday were fairly empty, a bit more than half full. So I got window seats with no one in the middle seat. The flight back on Saturday went thru Denver with no plane change. Only a few empty seats on both legs.

The new SLC airport terminals are nice. But it's a LONG walk from the B gates that Southwest has. When leaving SLC, TSA is at the far end of the A terminal, so have to walk down A, then thru the tunnel across to B, and then all the way to the end of the B terminal. There are a few moving belts. Need to allow more time when leaving than with the old terminal.

Lots of TSA capacity. Even have an electronic sign showing wait times for the various types of security options (regular, TSA-Pre, etc.).
marzski
Advanced

MSDOG wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:11 am Plan on going to Taos and Red River in late January if we can get tickets. Understand they are going to limit # of skiers per day.
Not sure my trip to Taos in early Feb will happen. Not a lift access issue since I have a Private Ski Week reserved. But if New Mexico keeps travel restrictions, I don't want to mess with flying into ABQ.

Current capacity limits as of early Dec are 25%. That's usually calculated based on the max for really busy days, like Saturdays. Ski resorts rarely are anywhere near that midweek, non-holiday.