The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

Skier's left at Cat

Converse on all ski and snowboard subjects - All things skiing, snowboarding, Q&A, gear, etc.

Please attempt to keep all comments within this forum related to skiing or snowboarding related content.

Profanity and Comments STRONGLY Monitored and enforced. (Keep it Clean! G-Rated)
swamphox
Expert

Sup with it? Seems like in years past they prioritized opening alley cat and the snowbirds yet here we are. Also noted a good bit of what looks like new snowmaking equipment. Additionally it looked like there were some bulldozers out on richards run and short n sweet back in november when we went. Went again for Can U ski and didnt see bulldozers that time around.

Is it just a change in snowmaking priority this year? or is it an infrastructure issue?

Just curious as Alley Cat is one of my son and I's favorite runs.
Live slow, die whenever.....

Days on Snow 22-23
Cat 5
app 1
sugar 1
ober 1
winterplace 2
Homewood 3
dj
Advanced

I'd noticed, too. It seems to me they have usually opened Snowbird before Upper O. I'm just happy to see it the other way around this year!

I did see the construction on Richard's, etc. the first time or two I was up this year. Looked like they were installing new water and/or air piping. Probably to serve the new snow guns in that area. I expect they'll start on Snowbird and hopefully Alley Cat this cold spell.
Last edited by dj on Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
swamphox
Expert

well kudos to them anyway as they are the only resort aside from app to have a black diamond currently open

Edited as they opened alley cat today. I wish theyd get the hemphill cam fixed
Live slow, die whenever.....

Days on Snow 22-23
Cat 5
app 1
sugar 1
ober 1
winterplace 2
Homewood 3
J.C.
Tagline: Forever an intermediate!

Cataloochee has great snowmaking and should be commended. I never went when I was younger always going to Beech, but I really appreciate the fact that it is just over three hours from the norther burbs of Atlanta. Their website is top notch, and their trail map is actually professionally done. I like how they have one main wide trail from top to bottom.

Now I know nobody cares what I think, but if that were my mountain I would take the quad to the top and possibly make it detachable, stop the double at the bottom of alley cat, widen upper snowbird to more than a cat track, and make the primary run consisting of Upper Snowbird, Rock Island Run, Lower Omigosh. That would make a legit intermediate run (not that upper Omigosh is challenging at 19 degrees) almost 1 mile long.