Boot Fitters in Boone NC

Converse on all ski and snowboard subjects - All things skiing, snowboarding, Q&A, gear, etc.

Please attempt to keep all comments within this forum related to skiing or snowboarding related content.

Profanity and Comments STRONGLY Monitored and enforced. (Keep it Clean! G-Rated)
cawski

Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:59 pm

I live in Wilmington NC and will be Skiing Sugar Mtn this winter. I am in need of some Boot Adjustments and was looking for recommendations of Ski Shops in the area . My foot has grown over the years and am hoping to have the Toe Box area enlarged. No longer Ski enough to want to make the investment into new ski boots

Any recommendations about the area would be appreciated Hotels and Restaurants ect.

Thanks
Woodsrider427
Beginner

Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:52 pm

I just had new boots fitted by Mark at Ski Country Sports, which is right across from the entrance to Sugar. He was very knowledgable of the products they carry and the fitting process, also a real nice guy to work with. I've only skied in them twice, but so far I am pleased with the fit and performance.

As far as restaurants, we enjoy the Banner Elk Cafe for lunch and breakfast, haven't been there for a dinner yet. If you like Italian, we like Casa Rustica in Boone.
cawski

Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:00 pm

Thanks for the info,
marzski
Advanced

Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:30 pm

Mark has been around for a while. I bought my first 4-buckle boots at Ski Country about a dozen years ago during SugarFest. He helped with the tweak I needed afterwards. Also showed me the Smith I/OS goggles, which were relatively new. I wasn't ready to buy them then, but did eventually.
2019-20: Bryce. Plans: Cataloochee, Massanutten; Taos, SLC using Ikon, Steamboat, Alta in April
theKENDOG
Expert
Tagline: WOOO!!!

Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:46 am

I've never had boots fitted at the Banner Elk location, but I will say the Ski Country shop in Charlotte is fantastic, so I'd imagine the BE one is just as good. Just bought some new snowboard boots there and the guy helping me was extremely knowledgeable and gave me some very good info about the different brands.
WOOOOOO!

dj
Advanced

Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:02 am

For what it's worth, the Ski Country location in Asheville is great for boot fitting, too.
killglobalwarmingnow
Advanced

Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:22 pm

I echo the comments about Ski Country (though I like Edge of the World as much).

The first thing though when you go in, tell Mark you want to try a real sport and ask to see the snowboard boots.
Old Fart
Beginner

Mon Nov 25, 2019 4:47 pm

As we get older our feet flatten (especially if you have high arches to begin with) getting both wider and longer. After 5-6 years of trying to get boots "the right size" that didn't kill my feet (10-12 sessions with bootfitters and a couple different boots) I just gave up and got a full (mondo) size larger. My boots are just a little sloppy fitting but I can't tell any difference in my skiing unless its on solid ice and my feet thank me for not torturing them all day.
spydeeTJB
Intermediate

Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:57 pm

Old Fart wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 4:47 pm
As we get older our feet flatten (especially if you have high arches to begin with) getting both wider and longer. After 5-6 years of trying to get boots "the right size" that didn't kill my feet (10-12 sessions with bootfitters and a couple different boots) I just gave up and got a full (mondo) size larger. My boots are just a little sloppy fitting but I can't tell any difference in my skiing unless its on solid ice and my feet thank me for not torturing them all day.
Do you use custom footbeds?
I Ski
Beginner

Wed Nov 27, 2019 6:16 am

Mark Russ at Ski Country is a good as there is. Plus he is a super nice person. Tell him Jeff recommended him.