The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

MT Bachelor

Converse on all ski and snowboard subjects - All things skiing, snowboarding, Q&A, gear, etc.

Please attempt to keep all comments within this forum related to skiing or snowboarding related content.

Profanity and Comments STRONGLY Monitored and enforced. (Keep it Clean! G-Rated)
jt3
Intermediate

KGW's post sparked me to see what you guys know about Mt Bachelor.

I'm planning to make my first visit to Bachelor this winter. Should be there a week'ish. Any tips on lodging location, passes, etc?

JT3
marzski
Advanced

jt3 wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:34 am KGW's post sparked me to see what you guys know about Mt Bachelor.

I'm planning to make my first visit to Bachelor this winter. Should be there a week'ish. Any tips on lodging location, passes, etc?

JT3
Going solo? Bend is where there is the most variety of types of lodging. Same driving time as from Sun River, which is a huge 4-season resort. Sun River has lots of VRBO if going with a group who can fill a multi-bedroom house.

Bachelor is owned by Powdr. But isn't connected to any multi-resort passes. Check Liftopia and compare to the Bachelor online advanced prices.

What month are you going?
2023-24: Wolf Creek in Dec, Massanutten in Jan, Feb; GT, Big Sky; Crested Butte; Alta/Snowbird in April.
jt3
Intermediate

Marzski it looks like we early Jan for me and a buddy. going to get a week in prior to heading over to Targhee/Jackson for the rest of the month.

I'm thinking Bend is where we will post up. Not certain. But there are some solid deals on AirBnB. Just trying to get some input on the best location or any suggestions. Ill check liftopia for sure. JT
marzski
Advanced

Definitely Bend over Sun River for lodging in that case.

Have you come across the Bunk & Brew? It's a new/old hostel in Bend. Old house, new as a hostel. Has a shuttle for Fri-Sun that can be used to get to Bachelor.

https://www.bunkandbrew.com

I'm not the type to stay in a hostel, but it was mentioned when I started asking for suggestions on another ski forum for my impromptu trip to Oregon in May a few years ago.

Hope it's another good winter for GT/JH. I lucked out last winter. Spent a couple nights in Driggs with my ski buddy on the way to Bozeman. We skied deep fresh powder with BLUE SKY at GT for two days. It was Pres. Day weekend. Had a nice lift chat with a couple young men who drove over from JH with their boards. Said JH was a zoo. They had a lot more fun at GT and were pretty worn out by mid-afternoon.
2023-24: Wolf Creek in Dec, Massanutten in Jan, Feb; GT, Big Sky; Crested Butte; Alta/Snowbird in April.
jt3
Intermediate

I post up in Driggs. Love that little town. Easy run up the hill and a few spots to eat and drink in town. WAAY better than dealing with all the tourists in Jackson!

I'm not a hostel guy either. Its vacation for me and I try to stay somewhere quiet and comfortable, close to the hill.
marzski
Advanced

jt3 wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:52 pm I post up in Driggs. Love that little town. Easy run up the hill and a few spots to eat and drink in town. WAAY better than dealing with all the tourists in Jackson!

I'm not a hostel guy either. Its vacation for me and I try to stay somewhere quiet and comfortable, close to the hill.
The only downside to Bachelor is that there is no lodging any closer than a 20-min drive on flat road. And never will be because of the history of how the national forest land ended up with a 1-mountain ski area. But having the option for true 360 degree skiing from the summit is an amazing experience.

We did a day trip to Mt. Hood. Skied Mt. Hood Meadows and drove over to Timberline Lodge for a look in the afternoon. It's a cool historical lodge built by the WPA. Of course, in May it wasn't worth skiing much past noon. And didn't get dark until late afternoon.

Any lodging at the Sun River Resort is very quiet during the winter season. It's a huge 4-season resort that's been around for decades. But it's more of a summer resort. Reminds me of Massanutten in that regard.

Bend has a lot more options for eating out. Especially for someone like my ski buddy who likes craft beer. The drive to Bachelor is the same. Based on my experience staying in a nice 2-story condo in Sun River with a few friends, the next time I'll probably look for lodging in Bend.