The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

Big Sky Tips

Converse on all ski and snowboard subjects - All things skiing, snowboarding, Q&A, gear, etc.

Please attempt to keep all comments within this forum related to skiing or snowboarding related content.

Profanity and Comments STRONGLY Monitored and enforced. (Keep it Clean! G-Rated)
marzski
Advanced

How much do you really want to know? Was there for my third trip last Feb for a week.

Big Sky is huge. I think it takes an advanced skier 3 days just to get to all of the different areas of interest, assuming they are all open. Upper mountain lifts can be on wind hold during storms or due to low visibility. Andesite Mtn is good for two days by itself if steep and tight trees are of interest.

Do you intend to have a car? Looking for lodging for how many?

The Pugski Gathering was at Big Sky last season. There is discussion about lodging somewhere. Here's the general trip report thread:

https://www.pugski.com/threads/big-sky- ... ort.14285/

My friend dbostedo lives in DC. He writes great trip reports.

https://www.pugski.com/threads/big-sky- ... fun.14519/
2023-24: Wolf Creek in Dec, Massanutten in Jan, Feb; GT, Big Sky; Crested Butte; Alta/Snowbird in April.
marzski
Advanced

With a car, consider looking at lodging options in Meadow Village. Lots of possibilities in VRBO. The drive up to the base is less than 15 min and not a big deal. Nothing like driving up LCC. More food options for dinner in Meadow Village or just a few miles down the road. There is a bus system as a backup if not everyone can ski all day long.

The base lodging is a mix of resort lodging and VRBO/AirBnB, sometimes in the same building for condos. The advantage of resort lodging is that discounted lift tickets and a big buffet breakfast is included. Of course, the price isn't exactly cheap.

There are a lot of 3BR/3BA condos at Big Sky. More than most places I've been. But only a few have more than one bed in the second and/or third bedroom. Pays to book before Oct.
Last edited by marzski on Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2023-24: Wolf Creek in Dec, Massanutten in Jan, Feb; GT, Big Sky; Crested Butte; Alta/Snowbird in April.
marzski
Advanced

killglobalwarmingnow wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:48 am Thanks! We will have a car. There will be about 6 of us. Any other advice is a appreciated. I am pushing for four ski days.
Can you give me examples of the type of terrain the group likes at other destination resorts? I know Alta/Snowbird well, and have skied at Solitude, JH, and Aspen/Snowmass.
marzski
Advanced

killglobalwarmingnow wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:03 pm Terrain wise anything pretty much anything but moguls. We have spent a lot time in CO - Vail, Beaver Creek, Loveland, A-Basin, Breck. We like trees (not super dense), bowls, rolley groomers, glades, gulleys, fun fast groomers. Most of the group is advanced. I saw some nice ski in at Moonlight Basin. Are we better off in a more central location?
You are going to have a ball at Big Sky!

You mean a central location in terms of lodging? Doesn't really matter. Can ski between the main base and Moonlight in either direction. Although for a given morning or afternoon, better to stay in one section in general. Instead of taking 10-20 min going between sections. Or longer if not everyone is a speed demon.

There is pretty much nothing near the Moonlight base in terms of places to eat for dinner. Although there is a free shuttle bus, it runs on a schedule that's not the most convenient. I know people who stayed at Moonlight but drove over to the main base every morning. Partially because they were meeting up with friends at the main base. Even staying near the poma lift at the main base made it a little difficult to meet up before 9:00 because the poma didn't open early. At least that was the case in 2013 when I got a 3BR condo at the main base for a group that included people who needed to start late or finish early.
marzski
Advanced

Here's a few ideas about trails to get started. Even with only a few days, there are advantages to doing the free mountain tour on the first day. If you do, ask to do the tour that goes to Moonlight Basin. It's a much quicker way to find out how to ski over and back.

* Fun ungroomed and tree runs

** Lizette and Pomp are blues on the back of Andesite, relatively mellow pitch, quite long
** Blackfoot trees (black), above Silver Knife, on Andesite
** Congo (blue), on Andesite
** White Magic (blue), front side of Lone Peak
** trees off skier’s right of Silver Knife (black) leading to Thunder Wolf lift, on Andesite
** Tango Trees (black) next to Mr. K, front side of Lone Peak
** Single Jack (black) at Moonlight
** Midnight or Moonlight (black), off Challenger lift

* When riding Challenger for the first time, be prepared for a small landing pad for unloading. To get to a lot of the terrain, you have to go straight, then turn back around to skier’s left to go under the lift. For instance to get to Moonlight or Midnight. The triple is almost at the top of the ridge and pretty exposed to wind.

* Liberty is the easiest route down from the top of the tram. It’s a long, long run. Think 15+ min, assuming a few stops to enjoy the view and catch your breath. That's not including the first part that has switchback turns. Best to follow someone who knows where they are going. A preview of the steepness of the pitch is to ski the steepest section of the Lone Peak Bowl aka Powder Bowl. Go far out on the traverse to the South Wall. Learned that from a host my first trip. For a different preview, can look at Liberty and other terrain on that side of Lone Peak when riding up Dakota or Shedhorn.

* Avoid the Explorer lift, very slow and for beginner terrain only. Better to pole to the base if you haven’t kept up enough speed or missed the turn off Mr. K to get back to the main base.

* Lone Moose is a slow triple. The trees are steep and tight, but good for holding powder if upper mountain is closed due to wind or fog/clouds.

* Some lifts are “commuter lifts” that are only to get from one area to another or to access slopeside lodging
marzski
Advanced

Did you look at the Street Map for Big Sky. The condos accessed by the Otter or Cascade lifts might be nice. No idea how they are priced though. Might be quicker to get to Andesite or Swift Current from there. Swift Current accesses the most upper mountain terrain, including Shedhorn/Dakota, Powder Bowl, and Challenger.
marzski
Advanced

marzski wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:27 pm Did you look at the Street Map on the Big Sky website? The condos accessed by the Otter or Cascade lifts are probably nice and convenient. No idea how they are priced though. Might be quicker to get to Andesite or Swift Current from there. Swift Current accesses the most upper mountain terrain, including Shedhorn/Dakota, Powder Bowl, and Challenger.
marzski
Advanced

My friend was in this condo in 2014. I can ask her about how convenient it was to ski in/out if you like.

https://www.vrbo.com/451876
marzski
Advanced

killglobalwarmingnow wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:43 pm Do you know what the cell phone coverage is like around on mountain? Need walkies?

We settled on moonlight lodge btw.
There were definitely places where cell phones didn't work. How well radios would work, I'm not sure. The place really is huge. If someone were at Moonlight, I doubt a radio would reach Andesite.

Have fun!