The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

Prices for non-stop flights to/from Denver?

Converse on all ski and snowboard subjects - All things skiing, snowboarding, Q&A, gear, etc.

Please attempt to keep all comments within this forum related to skiing or snowboarding related content.

Profanity and Comments STRONGLY Monitored and enforced. (Keep it Clean! G-Rated)
marzski
Advanced

I fly Southwest for ski trips. Most often to SLC. But curious to know what prices are usually for the flights from RDU to Denver Jan-Mar. I'm most interested in the non-stop flight. Usually avoiding holiday periods.

Is $162 as low as it gets? Or is under $150 possible during the annual 3-day fare sale that typically happens in early October?

Flew back non-stop from Las Vegas on Southwest after a late season trip to Mammoth. Was so nice not to have to change planes!
2023-24: Wolf Creek in Dec, Massanutten in Jan, Feb; GT, Big Sky; Crested Butte; Alta/Snowbird in April.
marzski
Advanced

I've decided to add a few days at Steamboat at the end of a trip in Feb that starts in Taos, followed by SLC. My ski buddy who lives in NM is providing the SUV and the driving. He's meeting up with friends at Steamboat for Pres. Day weekend. Since I have Full Ikon, figured I might as well go along. Haven't skied at Steamboat since the mid-1990s.

I take full advantage of being retired. My trips out west lately have been 2 weeks, sometimes closer to 3 weeks.

Last season I used SLC as the starting point. From there we drove to Targhee, Bozeman for Bridger, and finished with a week at Big Sky. Met up with several friends at Big Sky who were there for the Pugski Gathering. Although I planned my trip before the Pugski dates were set.

Are you going out west this season?
2023-24: Wolf Creek in Dec, Massanutten in Jan, Feb; GT, Big Sky; Crested Butte; Alta/Snowbird in April.
marzski
Advanced

killglobalwarmingnow wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:28 pm That sounds like an awesome season last year, glad you are making the most of retirement.

This is a lull year for my big group trip. I think the plan is to wait for a big storm and go out the day before, weekends preferred - you hear that mother nature? Not sure where though, Colorado is always on the list, but I have never been to Montana.
Helps a lot to have a ski buddy (old bachelor, schoolmate) who lives out west and is willing to drive pretty much anywhere for skiing. He usually just wants to know which dates to mark off on his calendar. Non-skiing husband has met him when my ski trip started with being in Denver with DH because he had a conference.

Montana is worth the extra travel effort. More flights into Bozeman these days. Even just skiing at Bridger is worth it. Although it's a non-profit with relatively inexpensive lift tickets, Bridger has modern lifts and 2000 acres, including seriously steep hike-to terrain off the Ridge. We were thinking of heading to Discovery from SLC but there was going to be plenty of snow at Targhee and too much snow on the roads to Discovery. What clinched the decision was that my favorite little family-owned hotel in Driggs had two rooms left for Pres. Day weekend a week before I flew out.

As it turned out, we had to drive the long way to Bozeman from Driggs. And an even longer route from Big Sky back to SLC. Not just snow on the road. The other routes included roads that were closed due to blowing snow. A friend who flew out a couple days before I left was delayed by an incoming snowstorm leaving the Bozeman airport. But did make it out later that day. Definitely a little trickier than flying into SLC or Denver.
Niner National
Beginner

marzski wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:57 pm I fly Southwest for ski trips. Most often to SLC. But curious to know what prices are usually for the flights from RDU to Denver Jan-Mar. I'm most interested in the non-stop flight. Usually avoiding holiday periods.

Is $162 as low as it gets? Or is under $150 possible during the annual 3-day fare sale that typically happens in early October?

Flew back non-stop from Las Vegas on Southwest after a late season trip to Mammoth. Was so nice not to have to change planes!
I flew frontier for $95 roundtrip last year. I see frontier flights under $150 pretty regularly. You'll pay another $60 if you want to take your skis though.
Ga Skier
Intermediate
Tagline: Days on Snow...... Never Enough

Unfortunately Frontier is now owned by Spirit and everything they do is just like Spirit. I used to enjoy flying Frontier before they were bought out.Now they are another airline that is on my dont fly unless I have no other choice list.If Im wrong about anything someone correct me.
marzski
Advanced

Ga Skier wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:28 am Unfortunately Frontier is now owned by Spirit and everything they do is just like Spirit. I used to enjoy flying Frontier before they were bought out.Now they are another airline that is on my dont fly unless I have no other choice list.If Im wrong about anything someone correct me.
Haven't flown Frontier but have read enough stories by unhappy people that it's not on my list of airlines to consider.

Do like JetBlue but it's not very useful for ski trips. Except when I was flying to Boston for other reasons during a week of a major March snowstorm. I changed my SW flight for free to arrive a day earlier. Skied 10+ inches of fresh snow at Jiminy Peak and had a very good time.
safeTmanEd
Beginner

Frontier has non-stop service from Knoxville to Denver. Can usually get 75-80 bucks one way if you schedule in advance. Used them several times with no real complaints. You just have to understand that they are a discount airline and you will pay for everything...including a seat! My advice; book the flight and let them assign you a seat! Get off, go ski, and quit whining!!
"Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." -- Einstein
davidski
Expert

Marzski, this may not help with your dates but as a general PSA

Southwest has posted great fares for mid Dec... I think I'll jump on it, round trip from RDU to DEN for $120

https://www.southwest.com/air/low-fare- ... =roundtrip
marzski
Advanced

davidski wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:19 am Marzski, this may not help with your dates but as a general PSA

Southwest has posted great fares for mid Dec... I think I'll jump on it, round trip from RDU to DEN for $120
Thanks for the note. My non-stop flight went down $15, but only a few tickets left. I figure the price wouldn't go down more than $20. With other people involved, it was better to commit.

Looks like it's possible to head to SLC from RDU in the first half of Dec for just under $250.

I bought my ticket to ABQ this week. Prices seem a little higher than the last few years.
marzski
Advanced

Looking for suggestions for a motel near at the Denver airport for the night before I fly to RDU. Anyone stay at the Baymont or Quality Inn?