The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

Bringing family to Beech for spring break- advice welcome!

Converse on all ski and snowboard subjects - All things skiing, snowboarding, Q&A, gear, etc.

Please attempt to keep all comments within this forum related to skiing or snowboarding related content.

Profanity and Comments STRONGLY Monitored and enforced. (Keep it Clean! G-Rated)
LesterFlatts

Hi y'all, lurked here a long time and excited to be bringing my family up to NC.

We've got a house rented in Beech starting Sat, will likely ride there and may try to get over to Sugar and maybe App. Very flexible even though our base will be near Beech.

Its been 25+ years since ive been skiing in NC, learned to ski at Sapphire Valley on boy scout trips. In college we'd drive up and ski Beech and Sugar. Moved out to Colorado in mid 90's and lived there for 5 years, have been in florida since. Been able to get back to CO once a year the past several years, but havent been able to take my boys (15, 12 and 8) so this will be their first time to ever see snow!

So I'm looking for advice on rentals, lessons and where to ski, as well as anything else. Should we rent equipment at each hill, or would we be better off renting in town for a few days? We'll be able to ski Sun, Mon and Tues. Best choices for lessons? I'm going to let the boys choose whether to ski or snowboard, any opinions on what they would enjoy most? My wife would also benefit from lessons, should we get a private lesson for the family, or put the boys in group lessons? I'll be bringing my old skis/boots, but will probably want to rent some demo gear.

Any other thoughts? Thanks for your help, cant wait to get on the road!

Chris
davidski
Expert

Sugar will have more terrain open, I'd definitely mix it and ski both. Maybe App too.

For lessons, everyone is good but I'd put App at the top. As it's looking you,ve picked a great time. I would expect crowds to be low on sunday and non existent mon. and tues.
LesterFlatts

Thanks davidski! I was bummed to see both beech and app wont have night skiing while we're there, I assume sugar will follow suit. We'll definitely hit sugar for the terrain. Latest weather forecast is looking good for sure!
marzski
Advanced

Go for group lessons for the boys. May not be that many folks taking lessons so could end up just them.

As for wife, how much has she skied? Perhaps spring for a private for her.

If skiing at Sugar, can get rental gear at Ski Country across the road the night before. May be a bit cheaper.
2023-24: Wolf Creek in Dec, Massanutten in Jan, Feb; GT, Big Sky; Crested Butte; Alta/Snowbird in April.
LesterFlatts

Thanks marzski! We're here after an all day drive from Florida yesterday and heading to sugar today. Clear and cold, should be a beautiful bluebird day!