The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

Massanutten weekend crowds?

Converse on all ski and snowboard subjects - All things skiing, snowboarding, Q&A, gear, etc.

Please attempt to keep all comments within this forum related to skiing or snowboarding related content.

Profanity and Comments STRONGLY Monitored and enforced. (Keep it Clean! G-Rated)
David H
Beginner

How crowded is Massanutten on weekends? Seems like about the same size as Beech or Sugar. Never been and I'd be happy with any size mountain if less crowded. Also, one of the other mountains that offer summer dh biking that I haven't tried yet and would like to check out.
Last edited by David H on Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
marzski
Advanced

Hello! Where are you driving from?

I opted to choose Massanutten as my home mountain over 10 years ago, driving 4 hours from Cary, because it's the only place within a half-day drive that I could not wait in a lift line even on a holiday weekend. That's still true for people who are good enough to enjoy Paradice and DJ. Those are the only two trails off Lift 6 to the summit and they are Mid-Atlantic blacks. Most people who ski/board at Mnut aren't good enough to load Lift 6, so stay on Lift 5 (mid-station for intermediates) or the two base lifts that serve the green trails.

It's not overall size that counts, it's the layout and vertical. Beech and Sugar are similar in size and drive time from the Triangle, but fill very different. Same for Massanutten vs Wintergreen. No way to avoid standing in lift lines at Wintergreen on a weekend. The vertical for Lift 6 is about 825 feet by itself. Total vert at Mnut is 1110 ft, more than any place in PA.

Also, if you stay overnight for a weekend at Massanutten, all the trails are lit. At Wintergreen, Highlands doesn't have any lights and shuts down by 4pm. If you get a 2-day ticket (Sat-Sun) for Mnut, then the night sessions are included for both days. Could ski Sat 9:00-12:00, take a long lunch, and start again around 2:30 and ski as long as you like all over the mountain until 9:00pm.

Only reason I'm not skiing much at Mnut this season is that I have 4 trips out west. I'm retired and getting totally spoiled now that my daughter is not in school around home.
2023-24: Wolf Creek in Dec, Massanutten in Jan, Feb; GT, Big Sky; Crested Butte; Alta/Snowbird in April.
marzski
Advanced

David H wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:05 am . . . Also, one of the other mountains that offer summer dh biking that I haven't tried yet and would like to check out.
Note that a lot of the bike trails are on the backside of the ridge. If you go to Mnut, go upstairs to the top floor of the lodge and you can look at the entire layout. They have the old development sculpture (or whatever it's called) that shows the full ridge and valley where all the timeshare buildings are located.

A local bike shop in Harrisonburg works together with Mnut (owns the land) to build and maintain the bike trails. So not just lift-served mountain biking at Mnut.
2023-24: Wolf Creek in Dec, Massanutten in Jan, Feb; GT, Big Sky; Crested Butte; Alta/Snowbird in April.
David H
Beginner

That's great info....thank you! We're coming from Chapel Hill so maybe got 20 minutes less drive time in comparison but Yes, completely reasonable drive. Going to put it on our calendar. Will do some research for nearby year long camping areas. I know Stokesville campground seems relatively close but not sure if they are open during the winter. Will research.
marzski
Advanced

David H wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:57 am That's great info....thank you! We're coming from Chapel Hill so maybe got 20 minutes less drive time in comparison but Yes, completely reasonable drive. Going to put it on our calendar. Will do some research for nearby year long camping areas. I know Stokesville campground seems relatively close but not sure if they are open during the winter. Will research.
Ah, now I remember your self-introduction thread. While it's a slightly longer drive to Mnut compared to Wgreen, there is very little mountain driving. That's a bonus when there is snow in the forecast. I'm not a fan of driving up the mountain at Wgreen. Same issues as driving to Beech, not so much the road but the other drivers with little snow driving experience.

Best route after Lynchburg is to cut over off US29 north of Lovingston on RT6 to RT151 to US250. I usually get onto I-64 to I-81N. Since I stay on resort, I get off I-81 at Exit 285 to Weyer's Cave, then turn left on Keezletown Rd, which turns into Cross Keys Rd just before getting to US33. Turn right on US33. If staying in Harrisonburg, the stay on I-81 until Exit 247A for US33.

Taking US340 works for going directly to Mnut, but lots of towns and only 2-lane so usually end up behind a slow car or truck sooner or later.

If you appreciate really good popcorn, King's near the intersection of US250 and I-64 is worth the money. My favorite flavor is Cinnamon Kettle Corn.
marzski
Advanced

The other reason I drive to Mnut over Wgreen is that the ski school is the best in region in my opinion. Had a private lesson in early Jan with the resident Examiner (top PSIA certification, he gives the Cert exams). He helped to fix my weak side turn that I've been working on for the last few years. Any of the L3 instructors can really help an intermediate or low advanced skier make progress. I'm actually less bored skiing at small hills these days because I know what and how to practice.

For those that don't know me, I'm over 60, petite, and get in 30+ days out west at destination resorts. I started skiing challenging black terrain at places like Alta, Taos, and Big Sky after starting lessons regularly in 2013 after knee rehab (not a skiing injury). Most of the lessons in 2013-17 were at Massanutten. Ten years ago I was mainly a blue groomer skier who went into ungroomed snow for one "adventure" run per day when I was with friends who were advanced/expert skiers.
David H
Beginner

Well, stokesville is an hour away...farther away than I thought. Closes in Winter. I know there's a Shenandoah Valley 'touring?' business near harrisonburg that I thought owned a campground...trying to locate them for info.
marzski
Advanced

Probably not that close, but there are campgrounds in the Shenandoah Nat. Park. An entrance is about 20 min from Mnut, going past Elkton on US33. But definitely not open during the winter.

The cheapest place I've stayed in Harrisonburg is the Motel 6 right at I-81 and US33. Was renovated about five years ago with the bamboo flooring and new furniture. Okay for a night or two. Right across from the big shopping area with plenty of places to eat dinner.

If a buffet is of interest, look for the Wood Grill. Better quality than Golden Corral.
davidski
Expert

Marzski KNOWS Massanutten, and in my limited experience every thing she said is spot on. I was there last Sunday and stayed long enough to night ski for the first time and stayed, coincidentally at the motel six (which is pretty bad now, not unsanitary but sketchy, which I'm fine with for 52 bucks) Next door neighbors appeared to have staked their claim

I would quibble about the comparison to Wintergreen, lines at highland lift (1000' , 4.40 min, at wintergreen are never more than 2-3 minutes even when Blue Ridge is often 20 min. on weekends. And instruction is outstanding at Wintergreen, or Cataloochee, or Appalachian, etc... but..

The top two lifts at Massanutten always have low to no crowds, the mountain in general is less crowded than any except Canaan in my experience. the terrain is so fun, they allow things to bump and get choppy (fun) on more than just the edges of their advanced runs. And the runs at the top are steep and windy enough for attention, not just bombing.

The lifts are fixed but I timed both of the top two and they were each 7 min. even. That is a good pace for 800 vertical. And night skiing there is a pleasure, empty at the top, every slope open and well lit... I'm going to write a longer piece about my experience, but you must go to Massanutten, not instead of Wintergreen but along with wintergreen, All of our mountains are relatively small so combining neighbors is a great strategy and they are an hour apart.

David H
Beginner

Well, so far my camping research has led me to the Broadway VA KOA which is slightly less than 30 minutes from Mass. The Shenandoah NF campgrounds close down for the Winter. My next step is to check to see if the NF has a list of primitive/dispersed camping that will be closer to Mass.

Glad to still keep hearing about the less crowded opportunities at Mass. If Acorn, at Wintergreen last weekend, was running all chairs it wouldn't have been bad at all. I did get over to Highland once and the lift lines were much better BUT my issue is that I can slop my way down a black diamond but prefer not to. I'd rather keep better control on blues and then focus on my skill and technique to then try properly to ski blacks. Or maybe I should just jump in...saw a lot of that last weekend. One person looked like they might have got seriously injured. Regardless, Mass is on our calendar in a few weeks. Elaine is taking one of the boys to Beech this weekend for 1 on 1 skiing and I'm going to crash their party with a trip over there by myself.