The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

Big Acorn lift closure Wintergreen

Converse on all ski and snowboard subjects - All things skiing, snowboarding, Q&A, gear, etc.

Please attempt to keep all comments within this forum related to skiing or snowboarding related content.

Profanity and Comments STRONGLY Monitored and enforced. (Keep it Clean! G-Rated)
davidski
Expert

The Big Acorn lift at Wintergreen is having a motor replaced, they are updating the progress each morning and afternoon on their mountain blog. They are not stating definitely but it seems they expect it to reopen by the weekend, maybe sooner

I hope so, I'm going up saturday with a lot of neighbors who have never been there
jacksonhwall
Beginner
Tagline: living for the Winter

They've been updating constantly on Instagram too! I'm going next week so I certainly hope so! The left side of the mountain is the only part my Fiance can ride haha
Woodsrider427
Beginner

I’ll be there on Friday so I’m hoping they’ll have it back running by then. All the times I’ve been there I have never been on the Acorn trail since it was never open while there. If it’s not back up at least most of the Highlands should be open, last Friday it was only half.
Woodsrider427
Beginner

Acorn lift is back running!! They did a great job with the updates.
davidski
Expert

Yes! Good work Wintergreen
davidski
Expert

Woodsrider427 wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:49 pm I’ll be there on Friday so I’m hoping they’ll have it back running by then. All the times I’ve been there I have never been on the Acorn trail since it was never open while there. If it’s not back up at least most of the Highlands should be open, last Friday it was only half.
It's true that the run Big acorn takes forever for them to open but it runs fall line directly under the lift, not a very long lift either, so I prefer the longer runs that move across/around the terrain. But I have heard some people really agitated when big acorn doesn't open, although even when it is open a lot of the time only the racers get to use it

Anyway, I'll be there saturday, green helmet, orange backpack, inimitable style
Woodsrider427
Beginner

davidski wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:25 pm
Woodsrider427 wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:49 pm I’ll be there on Friday so I’m hoping they’ll have it back running by then. All the times I’ve been there I have never been on the Acorn trail since it was never open while there. If it’s not back up at least most of the Highlands should be open, last Friday it was only half.
It's true that the run Big acorn takes forever for them to open but it runs fall line directly under the lift, not a very long lift either, so I prefer the longer runs that move across/around the terrain. But I have heard some people really agitated when big acorn doesn't open, although even when it is open a lot of the time only the racers get to use it

Anyway, I'll be there saturday, green helmet, orange backpack, inimitable style
Acorn lift was down again most of today. They had to bus people up from the bottom. Hopefully they get it back going again for you tomorrow.
Woodsrider427
Beginner

Now according to their website it will be down until further notice. Davidski, it may be too late for you to change your plans but that will likely make the other lifts and terrain extremely crowded. I'd assume you don't spend much time there, but I spoke to a guy today that said the Blue Ridge Express had over an hour wait last weekend when Acorn side was closed. Of course that was MLK weekend so it made it worse.

When Acorn was down after lunch today there were definitely quite a bit more people in the Highlands that didn't belong there.
davidski
Expert

I am so angry with them... I have so much confidence in their reporting and I'm meeting with a large group that I assured we would ski the whole mountain.

I do not blame difficulties but overly optimistic reporting is proving to be the deliberate achilles heel of skiing in the beleaguered SE, why bother?... I am pissed
Woodsrider427
Beginner

davidski wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:20 pm I am so angry with them... I have so much confidence in their reporting and I'm meeting with a large group that I assured we would ski the whole mountain.

I do not blame difficulties but overly optimistic reporting is proving to be the deliberate achilles heel of skiing in the beleaguered SE, why bother?... I am pissed
Sorry to have been the bearer of bad news. Even if they were to somehow get it open tomorrow morning, I'd be a little hesitant to get on it. We were also stopped on the Highland lift for about 10 minutes today, it was starting and stopping. Don't know what's going on there. Looks like Sugar for me on Monday if I go somewhere.