The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

Flying snowboard - no hard case

Converse on all ski and snowboard subjects - All things skiing, snowboarding, Q&A, gear, etc.

Please attempt to keep all comments within this forum related to skiing or snowboarding related content.

Profanity and Comments STRONGLY Monitored and enforced. (Keep it Clean! G-Rated)
dj
Advanced

As I mentioned in davidski's thread, I've put a trip to Denver together. A friend of my son's is going with me (but not my son - he seems to have given up on skiing :-( :roll: ). His budget is tight. I'm covering the hotel and car rental since I'd be paying that anyway, so he's only out flight, lifties and food/beer.

Anyway, I have a SporTube for my skis but nothing for the snowboard. Anybody tried flying a snowboard (not an particularly expensive one, I think) just wrapped and taped securely in cardboard? I messaged Southwest to ask if they would accept the snowboard wrapped in cardboard and there reply was:

Snow or water skis will be accepted in substitution for one of the two free pieces of checked baggage at no additional charge when enclosed in a suitable container. Please keep in mind that skis will be accepted as a “limited release” item (Passenger agrees to assume risk of damage) unless they are being transported in a hard, plastic case or a standard ski bag.

He said he could take the bindings off and pack them in his luggage. Seem like a reasonable way to go?

Thanks,
dj
thefirewarde
Beginner

I'd at least try and find a used ski/board bag at a thrift store, then wrap your padding inside that. I've got a small handful, but unfortunately I don't live down south anymore so I can't donate one to the cause.

Sent from my Life Max using Tapatalk

spydeeTJB
Intermediate

Go to a shop that sells boards and ask for a box used to ship boards (make sure it's long enough). Of course you'll need to remove bindings and pack them in you baggage or carry-on.
Ga Skier
Intermediate
Tagline: Days on Snow...... Never Enough

For what its worth, I was checking in at ATL airport a while back and some guy was next to me at the counter with a snowboard only without a bag case or anything. We were on the same flight to DIA and they accepted his board like it was.My stuff made it all bagged up and his board made it fine as well. No one seemed to care on that day.
K2slopesurfer
Beginner

Use slit pool noodles or plumbing insulation wrapped around the edges, then wrap in a cardboard "sleeve" you make from flat boxes and tape. Should be accepted just fine, but may want to make the sleeve re-closable in case of TSA inspection.
dj
Advanced

Thanks everybody! I decided to get a lightly padded bag on Amazon and let him use that just so it's in something. It was $39.99 when I ordered it but has now gone up to $49.

It may show up on here for sale in early March :-) or I may just tell him to buy me a couple of beers and keep it.