Timberline - the Untold Story

Converse on all ski and snowboard subjects - All things skiing, snowboarding, Q&A, gear, etc.

Please attempt to keep all comments within this forum related to skiing or snowboarding related content.

Profanity and Comments STRONGLY Monitored and enforced. (Keep it Clean! G-Rated)
adm1n
Intermediate

Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:34 pm

Tracy Herz texted me on Saturday with a link to another story with the obligatory references to all of the financial, real legal and alleged legal issues surrounding the resort, their family etc. I don't know Mrs. Herz and I can do the same thing that a lot of people are doing and jump to conclusions based on hearsay and rumors. One person's FACTS are another person's rumors.

All I know is that a LOT of stupid stuff has happened there for MANY years now. A lot of bad mojo , actions and poor reactions to community needs and the everyday operations.

I will say that's it is easy to judge people when they are making decisions or forced to choose between two wrong ways to go because of a lack of funds. Things go ignored, unpaid and worse. There are many who will (maybe rightfully) claim that the Herz' family has brought everything on themselves. However, that is probably as unfair as it would be to say that none of what they are going through is their fault. The truth is somewhere in the middle.

Mrs. Herz and the entire operation are running with their backs against the wall and when you operate that way - or are forced to operate that way due to having far more expenses than revenue - you come off aloof, mean-spirited, and perhaps downright evil.

The owners of Timberline are scrambling and yet they seem to be operating day to day with an eye on SOMETHING happening that will allow them to stay open - whether they operate another day this winter or for the future. Just as an outsider, looking in...I think those prospects are VERY SLIM.

I think it is far more likely that any and every creditor owed will call in their loans and take whatever steps needed to cut up whatever is salvageable for monies or write the place off as a loss and go from there. What the future holds for the Herz ownership is something that only they know. My guess is that they will be forced to close. Whether someone would step forward and offer to purchase and what shape or direction the place would have after that is also just a guess.

My experience tells me that the place is hemorrhaging a need for a LOT of infusion of funds that no ONE entity will be able to come forward with. Hence the place is probably destined to become a nice, residential community a few miles from Canaan Valley Resort and Whitegrass - and join the heap of LOST SKI AREAS in the region.
Niner National
Beginner

Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:04 am

Now closed for the rest of the year.
adm1n
Intermediate

Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:33 am

Niner National wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:04 am
Now closed for the rest of the year.

...and maybe for good. See story at: http://www.skisoutheast.com/timberline- ... er-reopen/
Robulator
Beginner

Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:19 pm

hopefully not for good. If the Herz clan lets it go I think the best chance for a quick revitalization would be if the state picked it up
WVULINK
Beginner

Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:28 am

I was up at Timberline this summer (38 straight years of summer vacation there), and on July 20th there was a large cook-out/meeting on the shore of Spruce Island Lake for Timberline Resort homeowners. I'm not a homeowner there, so I wasn't invited, but I can imagine there were a lot of questions and fears from the homeowners. I spoke to one homeowner that wouldn't go into specifics, but they said their biggest fear was the operation of the water utilities , but they were told that it wasn't an issue for now.