The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

Most challenging trails in the southeast?

Converse on all ski and snowboard subjects - All things skiing, snowboarding, Q&A, gear, etc.

Please attempt to keep all comments within this forum related to skiing or snowboarding related content.

Profanity and Comments STRONGLY Monitored and enforced. (Keep it Clean! G-Rated)
dreamnofpow
Expert

We have cornices in the SE? :o :lol:
ShredPirateRoberts
Beginner

RMacSki wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:31 pm It's not even close!

ShredPirateRoberts - I live in Nashville too.
Nashville Represent!

Are you in the nashville ski club?

Im going to join the race team and try to make most races
“The best place in the world to ski is where you’re skiing that day.” - Warren Miller
Nashville TN
2slikstix
Expert
Tagline: Tree Whore

dreamnofpow wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:47 pm We have cornices in the SE? :o :lol:
I think he was thinking of his little Baggie. Not all snow is on the slopes
"You mean there is Two of them??"
"it's about 10 very heavy inches. I can drive it but it sure will be slow"
RMacSki
Advanced

2slikstix wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:59 am
dreamnofpow wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:47 pm We have cornices in the SE? :o :lol:
I think he was thinking of his little Baggie. Not all snow is on the slopes
I didn't know we had a ski club? What does it entail?
2014-2015 Days On: Like a billion already.
Kelly K
Beginner

ShredPirateRoberts wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:06 pm
RMacSki wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:31 pm It's not even close!

ShredPirateRoberts - I live in Nashville too.
Nashville Represent!

Are you in the nashville ski club?

I am in Nashville as well. One of the few natives left.
Kelly K
Beginner

I would say a couple of the trails at T Line ike "off the wall" and the stuff in Cherry Bowl. The glades in the Cherry Bowl area are full on double black and can't be skied unless there is a lot of snow (logs and other dangers lurk underneath). T line logged that area and has since taken it off the trail map. I would be curious to hear if it is even skiable now. SS has lower SHay's which is quite steep as well.
jacksonhwall
Beginner
Tagline: living for the Winter

brigand wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:49 am Yeah, you're right on the money. I usually only ski the blacks at Snowshoe (Western, Choker, Grabhammer, etc) so it does get boring if that's all I am doing. Lucky(?) for me, I am a poor to fair snowboarder, and I can switch up midday and ride blues and be sufficiently challenged, and Snowshoe has a lot of blue terrain :)

Given the distance, I would only drive to Timberline if it offers something the closer resorts don't (since it requires an overnight stay that far away), I will take a look at davidski's trip reports. Thanks for the heads up - I need some good reading to pass the rest of the off-season.

Hey man!
I'm new to the forum and I'm heading up to snowshoe in about a month! Id rate myself as a fair intermediate snowboarder, do you think Cupp would be much out of my wheelhouse? I'm pretty confident on my turns, albeit I usually take things at a reserved/slow pace still! thanks!
brigand
Beginner

jacksonhwall wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:56 pm Hey man!
I'm new to the forum and I'm heading up to snowshoe in about a month! Id rate myself as a fair intermediate snowboarder, do you think Cupp would be much out of my wheelhouse? I'm pretty confident on my turns, albeit I usually take things at a reserved/slow pace still! thanks!
Just replied in your other thread. Nah, I think Cupp will be within your ability - just relax and take your time. This Christmas went to Snowshoe, but didn't take my skis. Surprisingly none of the black runs turned out to be too difficult (I had myself psyched out Grabhammer would be too hard, but pleasantly surprised it just felt like a blue that didn't have 500 other people on it :) ). I was able to cruise every slope there without pause, and that's not insignificant for me.

However, I had a bit of help - it snowed literally every day I was there, and having fresh powder every morning, even if only 2 or 3 inches, made all the difference. If it had been icy, I would have gone and rented skis. I think WT, GH, or Widowmaker would be quite scary on ice.
skiing rules
Expert

Top Gun at Hawksnest used to be a lot of fun. The top had good pitch and the slope kept rolling over until close to the bottom.

I'd say Boulderdash or the bowl at Wolf are the steepest. I did like gunthers way a lot when I skied it a couple of years ago.
jacksonhwall
Beginner
Tagline: living for the Winter

brigand wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:43 pm
jacksonhwall wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:56 pm Hey man!
Just replied in your other thread. Nah, I think Cupp will be within your ability - just relax and take your time. This Christmas went to Snowshoe, but didn't take my skis. Surprisingly none of the black runs turned out to be too difficult (I had myself psyched out Grabhammer would be too hard, but pleasantly surprised it just felt like a blue that didn't have 500 other people on it :) ). I was able to cruise every slope there without pause, and that's not insignificant for me.

However, I had a bit of help - it snowed literally every day I was there, and having fresh powder every morning, even if only 2 or 3 inches, made all the difference. If it had been icy, I would have gone and rented skis. I think WT, GH, or Widowmaker would be quite scary on ice.
ah Yep just saw that! Thanks so much man! that picture of the powder has me immensely stoked! thanks again and I hope you had a great trip!