The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

Most challenging trails in the southeast?

Converse on all ski and snowboard subjects - All things skiing, snowboarding, Q&A, gear, etc.

Please attempt to keep all comments within this forum related to skiing or snowboarding related content.

Profanity and Comments STRONGLY Monitored and enforced. (Keep it Clean! G-Rated)
grinderstation
Beginner

Powerlines.
Old Fart
Beginner

I've heard the liftline at Sugar necessitates one have a decent skill set, as well as a good natural snow.
jimw
Beginner

This past Saturday -10 degrees blowing snow first run at rope drop opening day for Lower Shays with fogged up googles was pretty extreme for the south east. Then the next run was Cupp googles better but complete white out a few times from the snow makers with huge rollers in the s turns. Awesome!
brigand
Beginner

Yeah, I may have to update my choice with the edge case I encountered on a freaking blue at Wintergreen last Friday. Over on Sunrise, the sun doesn't hit the slope until at least noon. I hit a solid, unbroken patch of ice a good 20 feet by 50 feet - literally a crystalline, clear sheet of ice with no snow on it - which I couldn't see due to the shade and the blowing snow. Lost my edge and banged my wrist pretty hard. I guess 14F and gusty makes any trail unpleasantly difficult on a board.
OldSchool
Intermediate
Tagline: ......................I Love Cold, Rain and Snow!

I would agree with all of the above.. bla bla bla this black this blue/ black..

but time and space changes daily..

sun , wind, cold, warm, wax, no wax, are your edges sharp?

how long are your skis?

cm to inch's?

or snowplowing snow board?

are your boots proper? tight? socks?

Ball diameter..??

legging size???

they change daily..

but for your money go to sugar and ride the Gunther express to the back bowls... its epic

then go to the Wolf.. they are amazingly open with the entire old side kicking.. :lol:
"Like Tater tots in the broiler"........ sometimes they smoke

Hey Bo! Hamme one dem beers!...
davidski
Expert

brigand wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:41 pm Yeah, I may have to update my choice with the edge case I encountered on a freaking blue at Wintergreen last Friday. Over on Sunrise, the sun doesn't hit the slope until at least noon. I hit a solid, unbroken patch of ice a good 20 feet by 50 feet - literally a crystalline, clear sheet of ice with no snow on it - which I couldn't see due to the shade and the blowing snow. Lost my edge and banged my wrist pretty hard. I guess 14F and gusty makes any trail unpleasantly difficult on a board.
Brigand I was at WG last Friday, I did a thing with ski patrol early,early when it was cold,cold but I kept skiing most of the day. I'm sorry about your mishap I bet we would have run into each other (figuratively) perhaps we did anyway without being aware, although I am pretty talkative on chairlifts and thus hard to miss.

I know the patch you are talking about, it was slick for sure.
brigand
Beginner

There's a good chance as I was there 9 to 5; I would have definitely said hello :) I look just like in the pic - still sporting the blue jacket and goggles, though half the day I'm on a snowboard and the other half on skis (and 2 different snowboards at that, as I had to go get my board with the grippiest edge). It definitely wasn't WG's fault - it was 14F and super gusty - I probably should have picked a better day, but I was stoked by the snow we got the day before, and I avoid MLK weekend like the plague, so this was my last day for a couple weeks. Lesson learned :)

I wish I had a GoPro on as I had a really cool run on Tyro where the snow looked like smoke or steam rising from the trail through the sunlight. In all, it wasn't a terrible day, but I would have been better served waiting.
carolinacub
Beginner
Tagline: Yes I am a Cubs fan

in NC ,even though it's smaller the terrain at wolf Ridge is so much better than App or Cat and in my opinion Sugar and Beech too. Got to love it when the Bowl and Timber wolf are open, Upper streak can be scary but 2 turns and you're done.
Dean
Beginner

As a former Ski Patrol member (back in the raging 80's) I will say this:

The trail you are on today is the toughest trail

Why? Because I've seen disaster and life changing "accidents" on even the most mundane of slopes. And they weren't always using rental gear either.

Be mindful, aware of your surroundings, and most of all, have fun where you are now.
skipanther
Advanced

The lift line @ the top has massive pipes,if it weren't for those pipes,it would be the s#&!! I've skied under the lift from 3/4 down into the woods in almost a foot of powder,FUN!!