The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

Converse on all ski and snowboard subjects - All things skiing, snowboarding, Q&A, gear, etc.

Please attempt to keep all comments within this forum related to skiing or snowboarding related content.

Profanity and Comments STRONGLY Monitored and enforced. (Keep it Clean! G-Rated)
admin

Tmiller72 wrote:
Why did the Pinola give away your room at 5pm?? I hope you broke some stuff in the lobby on your way out.

So I called Pineola Inn like on Wednesday of last week and made the reservation. I found it a little odd that the guy didn't get a credit card number, but since I wasn't totally sure I was going, I didn't offer. He asked what time we would be checking in and I said around 5, that we were going to ski at Sugar and then we would head over. He said fine that we had a reservation. On Saturday, we got off the slopes and to the car a little before 5 and decided to go eat first, so I called before we left Sugar's parking lot to let Pineola know and the woman told me that they gave the room away at 4:30. I could not believe it!

Then the final kicker is we eat, try to search out other places etc. and then decide to just go back and night ski and worry about sleeping later. I take a break around 8 and start calling places again. I call Pineola and the lady answers again and tells me, yeah they have a cabin with two beds that nobody showed up for. I'm ecstatic! She asks where I am and I tell her Sugar Mountain and she says that's too far away, she is closing down. I offer to give her my card number over the phone and she won't take it, just keeps rambling that it's 8 pm and she's closing. Unbelievable...what happened to Southern hospitality.
TNKen
Intermediate

Report them to the Better Business Bureau or Chamber of Commerce. Believe it or not, they like knowing stuff like that. On an industry that lives on tourism, not a good thing,

Ken
skiing rules
Expert

what days did u ski? i was there sunday and i never waited more than 2 minutes for a lft, dont go to the bottom every time, get on midaway, and for the snow, did u not see how hard it was snowing? nc has a lot of roads to plow and they probably dont have as big of a snow removal campaign as the northeast does, i though this weekend was outstanding at sugar.
admin

skiing rules wrote:
what days did u ski? i was there sunday and i never waited more than 2 minutes for a lft, dont go to the bottom every time, get on midaway, and for the snow, did u not see how hard it was snowing? nc has a lot of roads to plow and they probably dont have as big of a snow removal campaign as the northeast does, i though this weekend was outstanding at sugar.

I skiied on Sat. and planned to on Sun., but Sat. was just so bad I decided not to go back on Sun. I realize now by reading more of the board, that Sun is the day to go and that most Sat. are just too busy, especially at Sugar.

I did see how hard it was snowing, because after I got off the slopes around 8:30 or so I was driving from Banner Elk to Elizabethton to get a room. I did not see one scraper until I crossed the line into TN and then saw two. I also saw one SUV off the road right inside the resort and I was driving a Landrover that can go anywhere and actually started sliding into the ditch as I was coming down from the ski drop off area at Sugar. I just couldn't understand why seemingly nothing was being done for the roads. Even the shuttle driver was complaining.

I will go back to NC to ski, but probably won't go to Sugar especially if it's on a Sat.
teledave
Expert

kstid, try again in March. For some reason all the tourists think they put all the snow up after Prez Day weekend and the crowds drop off dramatically (even on Sat.). Also Sugar usually starts discounting there tickets after about the second week in March. Everybody will be closing the doors after either March 26 or April 2, except Snowshoe they usually make it to Easter.
Plans for 2015: To ski more than you
admin

TNKen wrote:
Report them to the Better Business Bureau or Chamber of Commerce. Believe it or not, they like knowing stuff like that. On an industry that lives on tourism, not a good thing,

Ken

Thanks for this suggestion...I intended to do this and then put it off...called the Asheville office and made the complaint over the net...very quick and easy.
Speedball
Beginner

I have one suggestion if you plan to ski Sugar on a Saturday. Get there early.

The announced opening time is 9:00. But the fact is, the slopes open at 8:00.

I often purchase my Saturday ticket the night before. I head down Big Red just before 8:00. I can get lots of runs in before the slopes start to get crowded.