The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

Converse on all ski and snowboard subjects - All things skiing, snowboarding, Q&A, gear, etc.

Please attempt to keep all comments within this forum related to skiing or snowboarding related content.

Profanity and Comments STRONGLY Monitored and enforced. (Keep it Clean! G-Rated)
admin

Any body know how far it is to the nearest hotel from Snowshoe?

And, if there is anywhere close to stay by thats not like $150a night,

goin there sun and mon let me know pretty soon thanx
SKISC
Expert

From what I understand it is a long way. Going for the first time in March.
Philip
Beginner

Tickman wrote:
First off, you can probably get a good deal on the mountain for way under $150/night. They have some pretty good "ski and stay" packages. Some of the cheaper places to stay include Top of the World, Snowcrest, and the Inn at Snowshoe at the bottom of the Mountain. If you don't find anything to your liking, there are at least 2 hotels in Marlinton, about 25 miles from Snowshoe (allow between 30-40 minutes drive time). Here's a link to a website for the Marlinton Motor Inn:

http://www.marlintonmotorinn.com/

It's a fairly old htoel and definitely "no frills". But that's an option. Don't know the name of the other one that's on the main road. Hope this helps.

ditto about the motor inn. Also, check the Snowshoe Inn which is at the base of the mountain. I've never paid more than $100 for one of those rooms.
Philip
Beginner

Also, because you're staying midweek (sunday or monday night), you should be able to find some good deals. I know Krogers used to have free midweek lift tickets if you bought a couple of Coke 12 packs.

I definitely know Harris Teeter has a buy one get one free deal during the midweek. You simply show Snowshoe your Harris Teeter card.

Hope that saved you some $$.
Zeus
Expert

Another option is staying in Cass on the back side of the mountain, about 10 miles away from the resort. its an old railroad town that is now owned by the national park service. The NPS has renovated the old railroad housing cabins and they go for about 175 (I think...maybe a bit more) a night or so.... but they sleep six, so if you have a group, its cheap. Plus you get a real honest to god kitchen, which is nice. And its pleasant being off the mountain sometimes. The town itself is real cool, an old soda fountain, a general store, and a cool place to get a bite to eat (Rt. 66 Outpost right across the bridge- great country ham!). Rt. 66 also has decent rentals if you are needin' them.

i stayed there last week, and enjoyed it.

Another option if you want ski-in ski-out is the Summit. Its condos you can rent ... pretty nice, and cheap if you go mid-week.
SKISC
Expert

I got a slope side condo, lift tickets for two nights for $400. It is march 10. The week after their primme season ends. I did not think that was too bad. Jsut got to bring food.
Murphy
Beginner

ridehead wrote:
Any body know how far it is to the nearest hotel from Snowshoe?

And, if there is anywhere close to stay by thats not like $150a night,

goin there sun and mon let me know pretty soon thanx

I got a deal at either Mountain Crest or Ridgewood Condos. $250 gets you two nights stay and 3 days of lift tickets for two people. That's pretty hard to beat. That's basically a $42 lift ticket with a free place to stay. Both condos are at the top of the mountain but not slope side or in the village center. The walk to the slope is about 100 yards and to the village is about 1/2 a mile but there is a bus that runs regularly.
skimannc1
Beginner

I just got back from Snowshoe and i stayed at the Inn at the bottom of the mountain for $383 for 2 nights and 3 days of lift tickets for 2. It was going to be more by staying in Marlington and buying the lift tickets. Just be for warned that the only place I found to park is at the Top of the World. You just have to plan your day on getting back over to Widow Maker lift before 4:30 or plan on riding a shuttle up.