The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

Converse on all ski and snowboard subjects - All things skiing, snowboarding, Q&A, gear, etc.

Please attempt to keep all comments within this forum related to skiing or snowboarding related content.

Profanity and Comments STRONGLY Monitored and enforced. (Keep it Clean! G-Rated)
tugboatjulie
Beginner

Ok, guys. How in the world do you ski in such thick snow? It seems it would be rather difficult. Also, do they have beginner slopes out there? :shock: I'm envious, I think. :lol:
snowbird
Advanced

liek this.

just hit the hills and roll. nothing to it. hope you dont fall or do a rag doll, even though every1 last week fell their fair share of time. we just didnt post tthose pics. but yeah. look at my nice form on the steep and deep at jackson hole.

cb lays down a nice 1

mark makes turns in the powder

its really esasy. just go find something steep and deep and rip it up.
admin

Like TD said "point it down the hill and make it all up from there".

It worked eventually but sometimes it was pointed up in the air, up the hill, to the side, into the ground, upside down. All within a 5 second time period. :lol:
tugboatjulie
Beginner

Really...are there beginner slopes for us non-"hot dogers"?? :lol:

Heck, I did a doozie of a flop on the Upper Flying Mile slope on Sugar the other day! Lost my skiis and all! wow--some impact...and real pretty! (Hey, it was my 3rd day at skiing, ok?!) :oops:
snowbird
Advanced

they have them, but they are no fun. well they can be fun.

but you know sugar mtn, ut has the best terrain in the us. that one with the slow a yellow chair.
kdawg
Beginner

tugboatjulie wrote:
Really...are there beginner slopes for us non-"hot dogers"?? :lol:

Heck, I did a doozie of a flop on the Upper Flying Mile slope on Sugar the other day! Lost my skiis and all! wow--some impact...and real pretty! (Hey, it was my 3rd day at skiing, ok?!) :oops:

In powder like that falling is worth it!!!! Now stalling in a flat and having to hike 30+ yards in knee deep powder sucks, (on second thought no it doesn't and is worth it.) The west is the best!!!!
eye3md
Beginner

Yes, there are green slopes out west but just like anywhere, they really vary in how green they really are. My wife is an almost exclusive green skier and she loves the greens at Snowbird, Steamboat, Telluride, etc. Telluride is actually her favorite place. Whereas the green slopes at Whistler were felt to be very steep by her.

On skiis, powder can be challenging, if you have no experience or are a beginner. Trust me though, powder is HEAVEN, once you learn to ride it.
tugboatjulie
Beginner

What I was asking exactly--thanks! That's what I figured. Even in NC we found some places to have completely different green slopes! Amazing!
KneeDeep
Expert

There is a little more to skiing powder than these guys let on. You don't just point your skis and go (although that's always fun). Its harder to turn, obviously, since the snow is so much deeper. If you have fat skis, turning is more like sliding thru the snow. If you want to go in deeper, then you sort of jump turn when you want to turn. It takes some practice to actually be good at it, instead of just being able to make it down the hill.
KneeDeep
Expert

Uhhh... OK. All of those pics are blocked by the enormous amount of snow you were in- and the one where you can see the guy, he's in the backseat and he's dragging his poles in the snow.

Not to take away from anything you guys did, and I'm not perfect myself- I just wanted the beginner/intermediate to know that she's going to experience a lot more difficulty than it sounds like from this post.