The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

Converse on all ski and snowboard subjects - All things skiing, snowboarding, Q&A, gear, etc.

Please attempt to keep all comments within this forum related to skiing or snowboarding related content.

Profanity and Comments STRONGLY Monitored and enforced. (Keep it Clean! G-Rated)
Zeus
Expert

"Snowshoe TR, or how I learned to stop worrying and love the Rain"

left out of Knoxville Thursday Night around 8 to book it up to Roanoke to spend the night. Arrived in the Snowshoe area around 11am Friday to begin two days of skiing and riding. After checking in at Cass (a cool little town about 10 miles from the resort), headed up to the mostly deserted mountain. The forecast called for rain, and we held our breath...

We got lucky, the rain didn't hit Friday at all. Well, it looked like it did that morning. The trails were a bit rough, and bare spots were showing through. Lotsa ice. After warming up on widowmaker and hitting up the few runs worth hitting on the main mountain, headed over to the Western territory. Shays was a bit icy and dirt patches were everywhere. Cupp, on the other hand, was actually quite nice. I discovered how out of shape I was at the end of the mile and half run. Been too long since I've been out west (4 years!), I suppose. For the freeskiers out there, the park was ok, most of the landings were getting a bit tracked out. I did go big and hit the large tabletop, got the most air I ever have (intentionally, at least).

Fri. night was rocking out at Silver Creek, until I started wiping out every other jump... Guess thats why I will never consider myself twintip worthy. Got tired, and cooked a Digirno Pizza and drank my share of PBR. Outstanding.

Sat saw the rest of my group arrive, and they brought bad conditions with them. Mostly skied Shays and Cupp in the morning, before braving the main mountain. The camo'd crowd had moved in, to sy the least, and ungroomed icy conditions certainly did not fit them... It was like skiing through a mine field. THe rain finally hit at 3ish and i quickly called it a day. Got mad krama points for helping out a stranded liftie after is car broke down.

Sat. night saw the rain change to snow and good conditions at Silver Creek. Mostly lapped the small park there, had fun tearing down the fast conditions.

Now, before I get the "this thread sucks without pics" lemme explain- i don't own a digital camera (saving for the D50) and I fell at silver creek on the large tabletop and busted my video camera I was using.... Kinda a crappy way to start he weekend on Fri. Night. Plus, If y'all really want to see pics of ice and crowds, and starter jackets..... well, I'm sure Mike has some buried away somewhere in the Pic of the day archive.

Overall trip rating: 7 lightning bolts out of ten. It was worth it, but coulda been better had mother nature cooperated.
Zeus
Expert

Trust me Gresh, once I get my camera you guys are gonna have to ban me from putting up amateur skiing pics that are blurry, out of frame, bad lighting, etc.... I'm gonna be a fiend with my camera!

untill I fall on it and break it (like my viddeo camera :x )
skimannc1
Beginner

I felt your pain on Saturday. Not great conditions at all worst I have ever skiied at Snowshow. However Sunday and Monday were really good other then the fact they didn't groom the blacks and churn up the ice under the great powder that fell so all the powder just clumped up or got pushed off. Silver Creek was the best conditions of anywhere followed by Cupp and Shay's. I was very disappointed in the grooming abilitly of snowshoe. That used to be a strength of them but I guess it's now catering to the rich families who just want to ski alittle and spend a lot of money on food. I will probably make sure and spend the extra money and buy a plane ticket and go west from now on.