The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

Converse on all ski and snowboard subjects - All things skiing, snowboarding, Q&A, gear, etc.

Please attempt to keep all comments within this forum related to skiing or snowboarding related content.

Profanity and Comments STRONGLY Monitored and enforced. (Keep it Clean! G-Rated)
admin

We have 10 of us coming to ski Massanutten Resort on 2/25/06, which is Mardi Gras here in Louisiana. I can't find anyone out there who can give me details on the snow, slopes, etc. This is our first time to ski in the Southeast...we normally go west. Please let me know the conditions for adults and children. How is the skiing...Hopefully worth a trip....Will we be very disappointed??????? is there a place around there that is better???????
ICEHOCEY77
Intermediate

Two blacks that I know of, fairly long, but not much vert. Last time I went was a few years ago over christmas, blew snow the entire time, but most of which was directed at the lifts. As a result, I was coated with a huge layer of frozen water.
jamsandwich
Expert

haha, that was funny. :lol:
bamapilot
Expert

I was at Mass in September, not much terrian, but a pretty area. The resort is nice with a restaurant and bar. They have a strange trail system. I wish I had been a few months later so I could ride while I was up there. Enjoy it, take pics and post them when you get home.
admin

Thanks for the information...I am really nervous about the slopes being nothing of what we expect....I haven't seen or heard alot on their skiing....I was hoping for some good slopes....Sounds like we may be very disappointed.
ICEHOCEY77
Intermediate

dawn wrote:
Thanks for the information...I am really nervous about the slopes being nothing of what we expect....I haven't seen or heard alot on their skiing....I was hoping for some good slopes....Sounds like we may be very disappointed.

Things get very bottled up at the bottom of the mountain, besides the lift that services "the two blacks". Also if you are staying at a timeshare, expect to get harrassed big time from the people there wanting to give you a tour.
bamapilot
Expert

Speaking of the slopes, the locals up there call them Mass-a-nothin'. Just remember, snow is snow, this coming from a guy that is excited about the chance to get up to THE CLOUDMONT this week.
ewinterbo
Beginner

We were just there last month, it's not that much to get excited about when you compare it to the places in western NC, but it is MUCH better than Seven Springs. There are a lot of novice skiers/boarders there so be careful!!
admin

You mentioned that Masshutten wasn't much but West NC was great....Where???? we were very open about where we would go skiing.....we want good slopes. We are Blue skiiers....can you give me some info....thanks, Dawn..I know it will never compare with the west but we wanted to go somewhere new with the kids.... :?
pagamony
Advanced

The whole area up there is very scenic and there are lots of nearby activities. check out the dcski resort profile for massanutten: http://www.dcski.com/resorts/viewprofil ... assanutten

Going by that, if you are really into the skiing, then it sounds like it might not be the best bet. If you are really into other things besides the skiing such as just being together as a family, tubing, swimming, golf, etc.... then it probably is ok.

There are technically more slopes at relatively nearby places like snowshoe, wintergreen, and timberline/canaan valley. Massanutten supposedly is more of a family 4-seasons timeshare resort. I have not been to Massanutten but have heard positive reports from close friends that have been (but who are not hardcore skiiers).

are you driving or flying? if driving, thats a long haul. Here is some comparison.

baton rouge - davis, wv: 1081 mi (timberline, canaan valley)

baton rouge - harrisonburg, va : 1016 mi (masanutten)

baton rouge - snowshoe, wv: 1008 mi

baton rouge - wintergreen, va : 1011 mi

baton rouge - boone, nc : 816 mi

baton rouge - taos, nm: 1120 mi

try a new place every year and see what you like best. for 200 mi less driving, i might try to stay in boone and ski around all the slopes. the worst part is trying to plan weather that far ahead, but you might be ok this year.

*ps: i love mappoint.com