The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

Converse on all ski and snowboard subjects - All things skiing, snowboarding, Q&A, gear, etc.

Please attempt to keep all comments within this forum related to skiing or snowboarding related content.

Profanity and Comments STRONGLY Monitored and enforced. (Keep it Clean! G-Rated)
admin

If we're skiing at Sugar where is the best place to stay in terms of things to do when not skiing, access to the mountain etc. (for people in their late twenties).

Thanks
snowbird
Advanced

stay at the cliff lodge at snowbird.

they have everything you could possibly need.

a rooftop pool, hot-tub, workout room, spa, saloon, and tons of awesome food.

cant go wroong with the cliff.

needs pics let me know i have them.
Speedball
Beginner

We always stay at SS+CC. It is located right on the Big Red slope at Sugar. They have their own ski shop, they sell day lift tickets on the weekends, and you can walk right out to the slope.

Lots of different prices and types of condos.

http://www.sugarmountain.com/
kclement
Beginner

If your looking for somewhat of a nightlife I would try somewhere in Boone. Try the High Country Inn. It's a Hotel and a Sportsbar so you can get drunk and walk to your room. Its still around 20 min drive to sugar depending on how you drive.
admin

Thank you for all of your help.

If you had to choose between Boone, Blowing Rock or Banner Elk in terms of fun and convenience (would like to be able to walk to some places at night etc.) which would you choose? If you stay on Sugar is there anything within walking distance other than skiing?

I will definitely check out the High Country Inn and SS&CC. What is around or in these places to do?

I hate to ask so many quesstions but I have no idea about this area.
Walden
Beginner

I think I know this person. Hmmm.
porter
Advanced

Depends.

Boone is like a small city.

Banner Elk is like a resort town.

Blowing Rock is like an exclusive mountain hamlet secreted away from everything. (Actually, BR most reminds me of Lower Slaughter, England).
admin

Thanks again. You guys are very helpful.
Speedball
Beginner

Speedball wrote:
We always stay at SS+CC. It is located right on the Big Red slope at Sugar. They have their own ski shop, they sell day lift tickets on the weekends, and you can walk right out to the slope.

I was up at SS+CC this weekend. They no longer sell day lift tickets at the office. It seems that the management at Sugar will not repurchase any unused tickets. Just had to ski to the bottom to buy them.
Speedball
Beginner

Speedball wrote:

Speedball wrote:

I was up at SS+CC this weekend. They no longer sell day lift tickets at the office. It seems that the management at Sugar will not repurchase any unused tickets. Just had to ski to the bottom to buy them.

One other interesting thing from last weekend. They had a shuttle bus to the lodge that ran about every two hours. I guess it was a good way to get to tubing. Or another way back if you get too wasted at the bar and can't ride the lifts up.