Let. It. Snow.
It is a calm Thursday morning area-wide, but things are going to pick up in a hurry this afternoon in the weather department as another winter system is going to move through the area.
This one will be quick, even quicker than Monday’s system, but it looks to be effective – especially in the northern part of the coverage area.
The National Weather Service is forecasting that the northern resorts (including the Virginia resorts) could see anywhere from 4-8″ of snow this afternoon and tonight with some locally higher amounts.
The North Carolina resorts and Ober Gatlinburg could see accumulation in the 2-5″ range according to the NWS forecast, and locally higher amounts are certainly possible.
I have seen a couple of higher forecasted totals for the southern part – especially if it is all snow – but the NWS is forecasting some rain/mixing in at the onset.
As a cherry on top, the resorts have had a great snowmaking window and conditions have done a complete 180 from where we were on Sunday morning. That window will continue as tomorrow could be the coldest day of the season.
Honestly, it is amazing to look at the cameras and see how much of a difference that Monday’s snow and the work of the mountain operation crews have made (#ThankASnowMaker).
With the reopening of Winterplace today, we now have 12 resorts open for play.
For the complete conditions, hop over to the Snow Reports page, but here are some notable items.
- The Omni Homestead Resort has announced that they will kick off the 2021-22 season on Saturday, January 8. The resort is offering FREE lift tickets to overnight resort guests this weekend to celebrate.
- Bryce Resort announced that White Lightning is now reopened and they were able to get snow down on Revenuer’s and Locher Bowl bringing them closer to being 100% open.
- Snowmaking on Snowshoe’s Western Territory has resumed, and they hope to have Cupp Run open by the weekend. It also wouldn’t surprise me to see some additional trails on the Basin side as well as at Silver Creek open in the coming days.
- Beech Mountain will reopen tubing today.
- Snowmaking – including on open terrain -will be ongoing as long as conditions allow so be prepared for that.
- I mentioned earlier that tomorrow could be the coldest day of the season so be sure to dress in layers.
There is plenty of snow to play on, and the conditions are looking fantastic.
Here are a few social posts from the resorts to get you ready for today’s snow.
That does it for today, but until tomorrow, #ThinkSnow!
Like Us on Facebook! < The Best Ski Resort News Around! If you LIKE us you will automatically be eligible to win free lift tickets and other giveaways that we do all season long!
If you want to drop me an email or comment, feel free. Your thoughts, trip reports, input, suggestions or general commentaries are welcome.
Email me your thoughts, comments or any news to [email protected]