The last 50+ hours we have see the resorts transform themselves into Winter Wonderlands once again. It really goes to show how much we are at the mercy of mother nature. From, resorts doubling their base depths (Appalachian Ski Mountain) to nearly a foot of natural snow (Snowshoe Mountain), every resort has capitalized on this cold event.
Many resorts reopen today (Winterplace, Timberline, Sapphire, and Ober), while tomorrow we see Omni Homestead back in the mix.
Speaking of tomorrow, we are going to start seeing (more) snow falling throughout the region soon. 4-8″ is a safe bet for most of West Virginia, Virginia, and Maryland. While NC and TN mountains MIGHT see 2-4″.
WV got the Brunt of this past storm . . . Round 2 this weekend!
- Snowshoe: Another 3″ of new snow (11″ storm total). Currently Snowing
- More Snow on the Way this weekend . . . Winter Storm Watch in Effect.
- More Terrain opening up soon . . . “Our snowmakers have been working hard around the clock and we anticipate opening more terrain in the next couple of days.”
- Canaan Valley: Another 2.4″ of new snow (7.1″ storm total). Currently Snowing
- Good news and even better news . . . “We have experienced well over 24 hours of natural snowfall and non stop snowmaking! We are also tracking a second storm for the upcoming weekend.”
- Natural Snow Trails Open: Snowfields (blue) and The Glades (blue)
- Subject to change . . . “Due to the snowmaking, our trail count is subject to change throughout the day, and we will update trail counts by 11am.”
Timberline: Reopens today (9am-9pm). 2.4″ of new snow (7.1″ storm total). Currently Snowing
- Open on 2 Green Runs (Crossroads and Woods Hole) with 1 Lift (Gobbler’s Gulch) on a 12-36″, Machine Groomed Base.
- More in store . . . “Snowmaking crews working round the clock to open additional terrain soon”.
- Winterplace: Reopens Today (9am-10pm). 1″ storm total
- Open on 8 runs and 5 lifts.
- Forecast: Partly sunny throughout the day with snow in the forecast this weekend
Wisp gets another 2″ (6″ storm total)!
- Wisp: Powder/Packed Powder Conditions. Currently Snowing
- Mind boggling amount of snowmaking . . . “Wisp Resort has pumped 88 million gallons of water so far this year with 15 million of it in the past 28 hours; equating to an estimated 577 acre-feet of snow in total and about 98 acre-feet of snow in those 28 hours.”
- More terrain to come (Snowmaking on 9 new trails) . . . “Our Mountain Ops are doing their best to get North Camp and East Ridge open as soon as possible.”
NC sees more terrain opening up . . . A few inches in the forecast this weekend.
- App: probably the most striking statistic . . . In one day App’s base goes from 34-62″ to 64-90″! That’s like 2.5 feet of snowmaking. Currently, snowmaking is on.
- All 3 terrain parks are back to being open . . . The Appaljack and AppalJam Terrain Parks are open with a variety features.
- Cataloochee: 12 runs and 5 lifts. 5″ base increase from yesterday (44-74″).
- “With round the clock snowmaking, we have added three additional trails back to the mix, including Upper Snowbird Trail and Upper and Lower Turkey Trot. Snowmaking is in progress to add even more terrain and snowmaking will continue as long as temperatures permit.”
- Tube World reopens tomorrow
- Beech Mountain: Packed Powder/Machine Groomed conditions. Currently, Snowmaking is on
- No more hiking up the terrain park . . . 6 runs and 5 lifts open, but, “Lift 4 will operate as needed.”
- Wolf Ridge: The Wolf Howls once again, until 10pm
- Open from mid-station on 4 runs and 3 lifts open on a 36″ Machine Groomed/Frozen Granular base.
- Ski Sapphire: Opens @ noon (until 8pm).
- Open on 2 runs and 3 lifts on a 12-39″ Machine Groomed base.
- Frozen Falls Tubing open from noon – 8pm.
VA sees temps in the teens this morning . . . Big storm on the way this weekend!
- Today . . . “We’ll be skiing and riding on all 1,110′ of vertical drop with 6 trails for all levels of ability.”
- Terrain talk . . . “Upper Showtime re-opens today and Pacesetter park will be next on the list.”
- Great weekend ahead . . . “Winter Storm Watch in effect for Saturday and Sunday with 4″- 8″ snow expected.”
- Highlands and Upper Cross Trail are back in our lineup of slopes
- Opening Soon . . . “Also in our sight range is Sunrise. We’ll keep chipping away at adding more and more terrain. Next up Tyro, Tequila, Lower Diamond!”
- Incoming . . . “As of this morning, the forecast is calling for the snow to start Saturday afternoon with on and off snow falling through Sunday night. Accumulation anywhere between 4 and 12 inches. Temperatures will remain cold, so it should be perfect powder!”
- Bryce: Open today until 8:30pm. The last two evenings they closed early for snowmaking.
Skiing and Snowboarding open once again in TN
- Ober: 24-36″ base. Currently, snowmaking is on.
- Open on 5 runs (Mogul, Upper Bear, Cub Way, Castle Run, and Ski School).
- Snowmaking improvements . . . “We now have the ability to adjust water and air pressure remotely on several fan guns which optimizes snowmaking output”
- Omni Homestead reopens (tomorrow) Saturday, January 12th. Currently, snowmaking is on.
- Oglebay reported 1″ of natural snow yesterday! They have also made 4″ of machine made snow. Look for their opening soon.
That’s all for today.
We’d REALLY LOVE IT…if you would:
Subscribe to Our YouTube Channel < For great Video Notifications
Like Us on Facebook! < The Best Ski Resort News Around! If you LIKE us you will automatically be eligible to win free lift tickets and other giveaways that we do all season long!
If you want to drop me an email or comment, feel free. Your thoughts, trip reports, input, suggestions or general commentaries are welcome.
Email me your thoughts, comments or any news to [email protected]