After record setting cold yesterday morning, we are back to more temperate 7am temps . . . kind of. Basically, a drastic 40+ degree temperature change at Canaan (-19.5F yesterday @ 7am to 18F today @ 7am) . . . After that 40 degree warm up, it’s still only 18F! . . . that’s not warm to say the least. Snowshoe was similar, but not QUITE as drastic.
The snow storm that was supposed to come today, came early to parts of Maryland and West Virginia, with Wisp, Timberline, and Canaan all receiving 4″ overnight . . . It is still snowing this morning and COULD dump into tonight. I hate to make predictions with a ‘volatile’ storm like this, but those areas may see 8-12″ after it’s all said and done! Snowshoe may see 2-4″ today, as well. After all, we are now into February, which is one of the snowiest months of the year.
The nice thing is that we are going to have a very nice weekend . . . everywhere. I think this might be a gem as we all begin to thaw out!
Snow slams into West Virginia early . . . more accumulation expected today.
- Canaan Valley: 4.1″ overnight . . . more expected throughout the day. An additional 1-2″ tonight.
- Natural snow slopes (and XC skiing) MAY open this afternoon . . . pending ski patrol.
- Snowmaking began on Meadows 2 and Timber Spur
- Snowshoe: Today . . . “New snow accumulation of 2 to 4 inches possible.”
- Prime Conditions . . . “Temperatures today will stay comfortable in the mid to low 20’s and every trail is covered with packed powder.”
- Slope/Lift update . . . “Lower Shay’s is now open be sure to go test your skills! Mountaineer and Evolution Park is open as a ski trail without features. Grabhammer lift will run as needed today.”
- Winterplace: “Snow likely between 8am and noon . . . New snow accumulation of 1 to 2 inches possible.”
- Surface Conditions and plans . . . “Machine groomed. We plan to open Plunge and Nosedive this weekend.”
- 22 runs (up from 19) open today . . . Base grows from 28-48″ to 36-60″
- Timberline: 4.1″ overnight . . . more expected today. 1-2″ tonight
- Same trail and lift count as yesterday
Wisp gets 4 inches overnight . . . more expected today . . . a touch more tonight
- Wisp: 30 (of 34) runs and 9 (of 10) lifts
- Snowmaking on 6 open runs and 1 unopened run.
- “Beaver will be shut down today with concentrated snowmaking, while we will continue making snow on a number of other open slopes.”
- Snowmaking on 6 open runs and 1 unopened run.
NC has a nice weekend in store
- Beech: adds one more run to their count . . . (advanced) Lower White Lightening
- Upper Southern Star closes at 5pm
- picked up .3″ of snow overnight
- temps will be “comfortable” today
- Cataloochee: 100% open terrain and lifts
- a nice perk for the over-nighters, “. . . you can pick up your rentals and lift tickets for the next day after 7pm each evening at either the shop in Maggie Valley or at the ski area, so you are ready to go the moment you get to the area.
- App: Reopened all runs after snowmaking period (except beginner Candied Apple)
- Terrain Park update: “All terrain parks are open with a variety of features. Features include small, medium, large jumps, down rail and lift tower.”
- Tonight . . . AppState Ride Night
- Sapphire: open from Noon – 8pm
- ”New Snow Last 24 Hours: 1-3″ machine made
Best conditions of any year!!!! We have lots of snow!(Most snow on the slopes we have had in years – one spot has over 12 feet!”
- Wolf: Stats: 52″ groomed base (up from 51″ yesterday). 10 runs and 3 lifts open. Hours: 9am-10pm.
VA to have a nice next couple of days
- Massanutten: “Cloudy with light snow possible, highs in the lower 30s. After an awesome snowmaking run the snow guns will be silent later today as the temps climb. Schools Out Special, $40 Slope-Use ticket if your school is closed for inclement weather. College Days today – $40 Slope-Use with a valid ID.
CMB will be delayed until 11:00am this morning for a park makeover.
We’ll be open 9:00 – 9:00pm for skiing and riding and 9:00am -10:00pm for snow tubing.”
- “Today will see some clouds and temps below freezing, but not as cold as the past few days. Saturday and Sunday will be sunshiny days with the high in the low 40’s. Today we’ll have everything wide open except Outer Limits. Tomorrow Outer Limits will open bringing us to 100% of our terrain covered in a beautiful white corduroy carpet”
- Homestead: Annual Winterfest weekend begins today. All of our wintersports will be open.
- “This week’s episode of Beyond the Tower, our new podcast series, features an interview with Matt Fussell, our director of recreation. Listen in as Matt talks about making snow in the South, our wonderful instructors and more. You can access on Apple podcasts or our website.”
- Bryce: 100% open terrain. 22″ of natural snow (to date) this season.
Ober is 90% open
- Ober: “Slopes are all groomed out except for Mogul, which is in pretty fantastic shape! The Terrain Park has a big roller set up with a few features, definitely fun! We open the slopes at 9am today and will not make snow again until the temps drop below freezing… which at this point looks like possibly late next week.”
That’s all for today.
We’d REALLY LOVE IT…if you would:
Subscribe to Our YouTube Channel < For great Video Notifications
Like Us on Facebook! < The Best Ski Resort News Around! If you LIKE us you will automatically be eligible to win free lift tickets and other giveaways that we do all season long!
If you want to drop me an email or comment, feel free. Your thoughts, trip reports, input, suggestions or general commentaries are welcome.
Email me your thoughts, comments or any news to [email protected]