After this week’s roller-coaster weather, things are leveling out for the weekend.
The next couple of days look dry after a few light snow showers this morning. Today’s snow isn’t going to amount to much, but it will help us set the winter vibe as we slide into the weekend.
We had a few spots receive accumulation yesterday before the snow moved out, but they were very minor.
In West Virginia, Canaan and Timberline reported 1.4″ of fresh snow bringing their season total to 99.4″, while Winterplace reported a trace of natural snow.
Bryce Resort received an additional 2″ bringing their two-day total to 4″ of natural snow. Some light snow is falling this morning in the southern resorts, but we don’t anticipate much more than a heavy dusting.
It is going to be an awesome weekend.
The weather looks on the colder side, but it will be dry until our next system moves into the area on Sunday night (with snow might I add).
When I say colder, I mean highs in the teens cold in a few spots, and not breaking freezing at most of our resorts over the next few days.
That will make for some sweet conditions as snowmaking will be ongoing which will bring a nice refresh to the slopes for the weekend.
There will be plenty of snow to ride and play on.
For the latest conditions, be sure to visit the Snow Reports page.
A few things to note:
- Winterplace has reopened the upper portion of the mountain after being forced to close it due to icing on Thursday.
- A few resorts have announced limited ticket availability for the weekend. Be sure to plan ahead.
- Ski Sapphire Valley will resume operations at noon today.
- Our base depths are looking awesome despite the mixed bag of precipitation we have received over the past week.
- As is the norm, most surfaces are reporting a groomed surface, but we are seeing a few packed powders mixed in.
- Beech Mountain has reopened tubing today.
- Snowshoe is currently playing on 261 acres as they remain at 100% open.
- Canaan Valley was able to up their trail count to 43 trails for Friday. They have several natural snow-only trails open.
- It has been a busy week on social media as the resorts have cranked out some outstanding content as is the norm.
I really enjoy these video updates that Canaan Valley does. The snow falling adds a nice touch.
Today’s featured image also comes from Canaan.
App Ski Mountain always has high-quality shots, and this morning’s post includes a fantastic shot of their views.
Ober Gatlinburg is having a great season. Conditions are fantastic at the lone Tennessee resort.
In addition to skiing and boarding, Omni Homestead offers tubing and mini-snowmobiles. These look like a lot of fun for the kiddos.
Timberline showed off a before and after of their lodge area this week. The transformation is incredible.
Last but not least, Wolf Ridge had an out-of-the-world visitor stop by on Thursday for a few turns.
If you are able to hit the slopes today or this weekend, we would love to see your photos and trip reports.
PodCast In Our Future???
Joe Stevens of “Snow News is Good News”, called Mike a couple of weeks ago and mentioned the idea of us starting a podcast for the region’s ski resorts. We’ve talked about that a few times over the last two years with various members of our team and I think we’re going to do it.
We’ll share stories from around the region and bring in guest resort owners and marketing peeps. We’re targeting the end of February to launch things.
We’d LOVE to hear from you. If you have ideas for episode subjects and themes, let us know. We’re also considering many names for it. If you have a suggestion, let us know.
That does it for today, but until next time, #ThinkSnow.
Like Us on Facebook! < The Best Ski Resort News Around! If you LIKE us you will automatically be eligible to win free lift tickets and other giveaways that we do all season long!
If you want to drop me an email or comment, feel free. Your thoughts, trip reports, input, suggestions or general commentaries are welcome.
Email me your thoughts, comments or any news to [email protected].