Baby, it’s cold outside this morning.
It is a chilly Tuesday morning region-wide as we have a ton of temperatures in the teens and a few single-digit numbers as well.
Snowshoe is the cool spot this morning with a 1° temperature reading, while Canaan Valley was showing 3°. Timberline wasn’t much warmer as the station was showing a 6° reading.
Some temperatures at other resorts:
Wisp – 9°
Winterplace – 11°
Wintergreen – 12°
Sugar Mountain – 12°
Massanutten – 13°
App Ski – 16°
Beech Mountain – 17°
Cataloochee – 17°
Wolf Ridge – 18°
Ober Gatlinburg – 19°
That is quite chilly.
The resorts are taking full advantage of the cold. Snowmaking has pretty much been going on around the clock with a few breaks here and there at some locations.
The difference is astounding as the base depths have climbed considerably in most spots – and we have new terrain being added to the mix almost daily now.
Today and every day is a #ThankASnowmaker day.
As a cherry on top, a couple of resorts received some light natural snow on Monday to help set the ambiance.
Canaan Valley and Timberline received just under two inches of fresh powder, while Wisp received around an inch.
Snowshoe had some light snow showers but just received a light dusting.
The best part is that more snow is in the forecast for later this week and potentially this weekend.
Tuesday will clear out nearly everywhere for a near bluebird day. With great snow conditions, it will be a perfect day to hit the slopes as long as you bundle up.
Be sure to check out the full details over at the Snow Reports page, but here are a few notable items:
- Massanutten is open just for the day session (9a-5p) today. The resort noted that Mass Transit, Yee Ha, and Lower Mak Attack are scheduled to open tomorrow.
- Snowshoe has mostly finished resurfacing the open trails and will start focusing on expanding terrain to kick off the weekend. I expect most resorts will have a similar game plan as we head into the holiday weekend.
- As part of their January hours, Omni Homestead will be closed today and tomorrow but will reopen on Thursday.
- There are a few special events at resorts as we head into the weekend so be sure to visit the events calendar.
- A friendly reminder – if you are planning a trip this weekend, be sure to check with your destination resort to see if you can purchase in advance, etc.
It is going to be a great week on the slopes.
A couple of snowy posts from social media.
That does it for today, but until tomorrow, #ThinkSnow!
Like Us on Facebook! < The Best Ski Resort News Around! If you LIKE us you will automatically be eligible to win free lift tickets and other giveaways that we do all season long!
If you want to drop me an email or comment, feel free. Your thoughts, trip reports, input, suggestions or general commentaries are welcome.
Email me your thoughts, comments or any news to [email protected]