Looks like the air conditioning gets turned back on today throughout the region. Currently in NC/TN, there is a wintry mix happening, but NO REAL accumulations are expected. The northwest flow storm really favors the WV/western MD region the most. According to High Country Weather, Snowshoe may see 2-5″ in the next 24 hours, followed by Canaan/Timberline (1-3″), Wisp (1-2″), and Winterplace (1″). As for the VA mountains, it looks like they may get a dusting.
The real benefit is the return of PRIME snowmaking conditions for all. The one issue for snowmakers MIGHT be the high winds associated with the front. This is all happening as another good weekend is shaping up for the mountains.
WV is currently seeing some ‘mixed snow and sleet’ as it changes over to snow showers
- Snowshoe Mountain: 1-2″ today. 1-3″ tonight.
- “Today is going to be a transitional day from a weather standpoint. Some showers this morning but as temperatures drop threw out the day it will turn to snow!”
- Just an FYI . . . none of the advanced runs were groomed last night, according to the snow report.
- Canaan Valley: ~ 1″ today. 1-2″ tonight
- Forecast . . . “Temps will be falling throughout the day. Snow is expected this afternoon on the back side of this system. The extended forecast shows another long duration of quality snow making weather”.
- Trails and plans . . . “Snowmaking will resume on Gravity this evening as soon as conditions allow. We have kept our natural snow trail Snowfields open, and the groom on Ramble and Weiss Meadows 1 is smooth and wide”.
Timberline: ~ 1″ today. 1-2″ tonight
- Yesterday, Timberline took advantage of the warm weather and continued preventative maintenance on the lifts.
- Reopened today . . . ” We will reopen the bunny today at 9am and main triple (Thunder Draft) lift on Friday at 9am. SALAMANDER OPENING SOON.
- Winterplace: Little or no accumulation expected. Less than half an inch tonight.
- Their forecast . . . “Some showers this morning changing to snow and temperatures falling throughout the day.”
Wisp is in the ‘snow belt’ as well . . . so to speak
- Wisp: Less than 1″ today. ~ 1″ tonight.
- A fresh coat should help the entire resort . . . from the slopes to their tubing, and help their Nordic Center stay open.
Some wintry mix snow in NC . . . not much accumulation expected tonight.
- Beech Mountain: Snow and patchy freezing fog before 3pm. Little or no accumulations expected.
- Cataloochee: “Thank you, Fire and Rescue Personnel – And It’s Snowing!And yes, it’s snowing here!” was the headline at CAT today.
- Here’s the deal . . . “Thursday and Friday, January 24 and 25 are also Fire and Rescue Appreciation Days and all rescue and fire personnel and their families, active or retired, with valid id receive special rates on lift tickets, lessons and rentals for day, twilight or night skiing this Thursday and Friday.”
- Wolf Ridge: “On this Thankful Thursday we are very thankful for the snow we are currently receiving.”
- Here’s the deal . . . “It is also College Night..$15 Night Session tickets with valid college ID.”
- Appalachian Ski Mountain: Little or no snow accumulation expected today. Isolated snow showers after 1am tonight.
- Check out the Lunar Eclipse from App on Monday morning . . .
Ober experienced some HIGH WINDS yesterday . . . forcing some shutdowns
- Ober: “Yesterday’s Winds have passed and the Slopes are back to 8 runs open.”
- “Looking at the forecast, the rains should pass by the time the slopes open and cold temps are moving in today and will continue to give us nice cold temperatures at night, perfect for snowmaking!”
- Little or no snow accumulation expected today. Little or no snow accumulation expected tonight.
Currently in the 50’s in VA right now with cold air incoming . . .
- Wintergreen: Acorn lift is back . . . “Our lift maintenance crew has the Acorn lift ready to open this morning.”
- Slope update: “We’ll open today with 20 trails and 11 tubing lanes. Big Acorn trail will be closed today for grooming but will open on Friday. We anticipate having two more new trails open this weekend.”
- Forecast . . . “It looks like we’ll have lots of round the clock snowmaking opportunities over the next 10 days.”
- Massanutten: Forecast and plans . . . “Cloudy with some lingering rain showers, temperatures dropping throughout the day. Throw on some rain gear and enjoy the soft snow, snowmaking returns tonight.”
- No natural snow accumulations expected today/tonight.
- Omni Homestead: No new snow accumulations today. Scattered snow showers after 2am tonight.
- Base: 28″ of groomed conditions. 6 trails (4 intermediate, 2 beginner) and 2 lifts open.
- Tubing and Mini-Snowmobiles are open, as well.
- Bryce: No new snow accumulations today/tonight.
- 100% Terrain open . . . 8/8 runs with 3 lifts.
That’s all for today.
We’d REALLY LOVE IT…if you would:
Subscribe to Our YouTube Channel < For great Video Notifications
Like Us on Facebook! < The Best Ski Resort News Around! If you LIKE us you will automatically be eligible to win free lift tickets and other giveaways that we do all season long!
If you want to drop me an email or comment, feel free. Your thoughts, trip reports, input, suggestions or general commentaries are welcome.
Email me your thoughts, comments or any news to [email protected]