The bitter cold temps are (slowly) moving out, but, we aren’t out of the woods, yet. Many of those frostbite warnings have been lifted . . . still, cover that exposed skin. Other than that, it looks like a fantastic January day.
With the high pressure aloft, the humidity is low, so the snow feels nice and dry (vs. wet and heavy). This is probably as close to ‘”out West conditions” as we are going to have for quite a while . . . the humidity/moisture return tomorrow.
VA sees more terrain open . . . One resort 100% open.
- More advanced and intermediate terrain open: “Today is the day we’ve been waiting for, an awesome snowmaking run has alowed us to open Paradice and Lower Mak Attack today.”
- Future terrain openings: “Snowmaking is in progress and we plan to turn our attention to Upper Mak Attack today.”
- Deal of the day: Tubing Tuesday – $15 for everyone today from 12:00pm – 8:00pm.
- No night skiing tonight . . . Open until 5pm on Tuesdays.
- Snowmaking on 23 of 24 runs today! “Yesterday during the day snowmakers concentrated their efforts on A-side . . . Last night they moved to Central and Highlands for heavy snowmaking and hope to open Devils Elbow and The Gap for the weekend.”
- Acorn Lift Update: “The good news is we have a solution in sight for the repair of the Acorn lift . . . we anticipate having the motor installed, tested and ready to run by Thursday.”
- Bryce: 100% open terrain! Opened Hangover (advanced)
Omni Homestead: Snowmaking this morning. Tubing is open.
Wisp opens Nordic Center
- Wisp: Wind chill values as low as -14°
- “Delayed Opening on East Ridge (Chairs 4 & 5)”
- Snowmaking on 7 runs (4 unopened)
- Nordic Center is open on natural snow! Hours: 10am-4pm
NC resorts have some remarkable snowmaking ability . . . Two resorts 100% open
- Appalachian Ski Mountain: 24″ of additional snowmaking in the last 24 hours. Base grows from 74-101″ to 99-125″. App has surpassed the 10′ mark . . . that’s a full storey of snow.
- 100% open terrain AND lifts
- 100% open terrain AND lifts.
- Snowmaking is on
- Base depth increase from 59-89″ to 59-99″.
- Wolf: Doubles their terrain today . . . open to the top
- Adds (intermediate) Midway, Lower Streak, Viewfinder, and (advanced) Upper Streak.
- 4″ base depth increase (from 40″ to 44″) . . . Snowmaking is on.
- Beech: Packed Powder and Variable Conditions
- Dress warm . . . “Frostbite Warning is in effect, make sure to cover exposed skin. Goggles, gloves, and hats are mandatory.”
WV is experiencing some record setting temps.
- Canaan Valley:
- “We will be closing our tube park and Critter Crawl area today only for snowmaking purposes.”
- Burrr!!!! . . . According to Lesher, “The low temperature of -13F early this morning is only the fourth time the temperature has fallen below -12 in the 20 years.”
- XC Skiing on 30km plus golf course . . .
Hard pack conditions, with powder on top. Perfect set up for quality cross country.
- Timberline: Closed today, due to lift issues . . . “We await replacement bearings on the Triple. Due to ice accumlation at the top on the tower we will re-open Wednesday.”
- Snowshoe: Certainly getting a little warmer . . . “Temperatures hover around the low 20’s and high teens, keeping surface conditions prime throughout the day, so get out there and carve up some fresh corduroy!”
- Snowmaking on Mountaineer (Large Terrain Park) at Silver Creek last night . . . I sense a build coming!
- Winterplace: 18 runs and 5 lifts, open until 10pm.
Ober is nearly fully open
- Ober: “Today 8 of 10 slopes are open! Yeti’s Run, Ober Chute, Mogul Ridge, Upper Bear, Lower Bear, Cub Way, Castle Run and Ski School open at NOON with a 25″-40″ base.”
- More of the good stuff . . . “The extended forecast tells us winter isn’t leaving & we are excited! There are many nights of good snowmaking coming our way.”
That’s all for today.
We’d REALLY LOVE IT…if you would:
Subscribe to Our YouTube Channel < For great Video Notifications
Like Us on Facebook! < The Best Ski Resort News Around! If you LIKE us you will automatically be eligible to win free lift tickets and other giveaways that we do all season long!
If you want to drop me an email or comment, feel free. Your thoughts, trip reports, input, suggestions or general commentaries are welcome.
Email me your thoughts, comments or any news to [email protected]