The best snow found in the Southeast — or for that matter south of New York is unquestionably at Snowshoe Mountain in West Virginia. We have also received several reports that Wintergreen Resort in Virginia is still looking quite nice although they have closed a few slopes since yesterday; Winterplace in West Virginia is still operating with 22 trails and we have it on good authority (two homeowners up that way) that conditions are pretty good there.
A few of our On-Snow Reporters are saying that bare spots and thin coverage are being reported at EVERY resort except Appalachian Ski Mountain…so App would seem to have the BEST snow coverage of all resorts, but if you are looking for snow AND the most terrain perhaps right now we’d have to rank things this way.
For the most terrain and best snow quality RIGHT NOW: (This recommendation is coming from combining reports from our On-Snow Reporters. It’s not scientific, it’s just an accessment of where the best possible snow skiing is right now.)
1. Snowshoe Mountain in WV – 43 trails
2. Winterplace Resort in WV – 22 trails
3. Massanutten in WV – 11 trails (tied with App)
3. Appalachian Ski Mtn in NC – 9 trails
4. Cataloochee Ski Area in NC – 7 trails
5. Sugar Mountain in NC – 12 trails*
6. Wintergreen Resort in VA – 5 trails
* For those that want to ask us about Sugar Mountain’s 12 trails…they do have good terrain on some slopes, but they also have quite a lot of bare areas and this accessment was quoting snow coverage AND slope openings as a combined recommendation.
** We’d also like to have included Canaan Valley and Timberline, but we just have not had the input that allowed us to include them in our recommendations. You may want to check those out for yourself.
Snowshoe Resort is Hosting Our SkiSoutheast.com Summit March 3,4,5th and YOU are Invited!
We think we have put together what should be the best deal we’ve ever had for this event and we want you to come and join the fun. It’s always great to play at Snowshoe and to do so with 20% OFF Lodging, and a Free Sunday Lift Pass is a great deal. We are ALSO giving away TWO Free Snowshoe Season Passes, Free TShirts, boggans, stickers, hats and more. Click HERE or on the Graphic below to see more information, book and JOIN US.
If you like skiing or snowboarding and you want to meet some new friends and get 20% OFF LODGING, a Free Sunday Lift Ticket AND be able to ski the slopes before ANYONE ELSE on the mountain…join us March, 3rd, 4th and 5th.