I’ll let you in on one of the secrets to this years success. On, or just prior to, MOST weekends (with some exceptions) we have had good weather, in the form of snow making temps and/or some natural snow fall. This is a ‘win-win’ for the resorts and skiers/riders, alike.
The resorts can capitalize on the cold/snowy weather . . . while simultaneously, user visits are higher on the weekend.
This upcoming weekend is aligning well too, as temps will plummet and bring ‘snowmaking-like’ temps to all but one resort, tonight . . . no bother Massanutten, because tomorrow night will be even colder!
On the flip-side, it’s unlikely that we will see resorts fire-up the guns because the snow depths are still on the strong-side. But . . . I would love for them to prove me wrong!
*A shout out to the Free Skiing for West Virginia residents this Sunday, March 17th at Winterplace, Snowshoe, and Canaan Valley. This is for skiing and snowboarding only, rentals are not included and proof of residency is needed, like a utility bill or driver’s license.*
VA will experience a 36 degree temp swing . . . a.k.a. bring layers
- Wintergreen: Temps will fall 34 degrees from 63F to 29F.
- “The weekend is shaping up to be perfect for all kinds of snow fun. Saturday and Sunday will be sunny days with temps in low 40s. The highlight of the weekend will be the Slide & Splash Bash on Saturday. Costumes are a must and style is a premium. Are you up for the challenge?”
- Here are our hours of operation:Wednesday, March 13 – Sunday, March 17: 9 am to 5 pm
Monday, March 18 – Thursday, March 21: Closed
Friday, March 22 – Sunday, March 24: 9 am to 5 pm
- Massanutten: Temps will fall 34 degrees from 67F to 33F
- Today: Cloudy with with highs in the mid 60s.
- Night skiing/riding returns! . . . “Night skiing operations resume for tonight and tomorrow night.”
- Snowmaking temps . . . “Colder air arrives tonight and sunshine throughout the weekend will make for an awesome ski weekend, lows in the mid 20s and highs in the lower 40s.”
- Bryce: Temps will fall 36 degrees from 73F to 37F
- 7 runs and 3 lifts open from 9am-5pm today. Tubing re-opens tomorrow
- Great footage and fun at Winterfest last weekend . . .
NC has some good skiing/riding lined-up for this weekend
- Beech: Temps will fall 32 degrees from 53F to 21F
- Awards (for Easy Does it!!, this Sunday) turned out great . . .
- Announced their closing date to be Saturday, March 23rd
- Appalachian: Temps will fall 33 degrees from 62F to 28F
- 100% open on a 52-107″ groomed base
- “Last night of Night Skiing is Saturday, March 16th. Slope hours Sunday March 16-24 are 9am-6pm.”
- Last App State Ride Night is tonight
- Cataloochee: Temps will fall 29 degrees from 54F to 25F
- Open (with plenty of snow) rain or shine . . . “Yes, we have plenty of snow even with the rain and yes, we are open are the questions of the day.”
- “Today we will be skiing and riding on a base of 36-71″ on 14 slopes and offer one session: day skiing from 9am-4:30pm with a morning or afternoon half day rate available.
- 3 terrain parks with soft snow today! . . . not so soft tomorrow.
WV has snow in the forecast at most places this weekend
- Snowshoe: Temps will fall from 28 degrees from 50F to 22F
- All 5 parks at Snowshoe/SilverCreek open and groomed . . . “Warmer temperatures have left us with some soft conditions perfect for testing out some new skills in one of our Mountaineer Parks at both Silver Creek and Snowshoe.”
- “Colder temps will be moving back in tonight and over the weekend.”
- Tonight: New snow accumulation of around one inch possible.
- Tomorrow: New snow accumulation of less than half an inch possible.
- Canaan: Temps will fall 31 degrees from 57F to 26F
- “We are heading into our final weekend here at Canaan Valley Resort, and Mother Nature looks to be giving us one final gift tonight into tomorrow. Snow is in the forecast as the temperature plummets throughout the day.”
- 23 runs open today (and I would take a gander at around the same tomorrow) . . . “Our groomers re-groomed many trails on the mountain, making the terrain smooth and even for the weekend.”
- Tonight: “a chance of rain AND SNOW showers.”
- Winterplace: Temps will fall 29 degrees from 55F to 26F
- “Cloudy this morning with the chance of showers. Then becoming partly sunny with temperatures dropping tonight. Looks like a great weekend to be on the slopes. Dress in layers to be prepared for the weather. Please use caution all surfaces may be slippery.”
“Bonus night sessions have been added for Friday night March 15th and Saturday night March 16th. Open until 9pm both nights”
It’s t-shirt weather at Wisp today!
- Wisp: Temps will fall 29 degrees from 56F to 27F
- A lot going on at Wisp this weekend . . . “With temperatures reaching up to 72 degrees today, you don’t want to miss this opportunity to ski in your t-shirt! Blue skies and all major trails are open at Wisp Resort – plus we have a ton of activities to participate in this weekend…”
Ober is going to finish out their year in style, with a wintry feel!
- Ober: Temps will fall 26 degrees from 56F to 30F
- “Good Friday Morning!! We are open from Noon-9 pm and will have 4 runs open: Upper Bear Run, Cub Way, Ski School and Castle! The base is 15-30″ on our main slopes and the terrain park is located on the Skiers Right of Castle Run. Snow conditions are Machine Groomed. It is looking to be a beautiful day for spring skiing & snowboarding! We will have 3 sessions today: Full day:Noon-9pm, Twilight: 3-9, Night 5-9.”
- Sunday Funday . . . “Join us for St. Patties day! Live music from 1-5pm in the lounge, green beer and corned beef and cabbage!”
That’s all for today.
We’d REALLY LOVE IT…if you would:
Subscribe to Our YouTube Channel < For great Video Notifications
Like Us on Facebook! < The Best Ski Resort News Around! If you LIKE us you will automatically be eligible to win free lift tickets and other giveaways that we do all season long!
If you want to drop me an email or comment, feel free. Your thoughts, trip reports, input, suggestions or general commentaries are welcome.
Email me your thoughts, comments or any news to [email protected]