Springlike Weather for the Week Ahead in the North Carolina Mountains

Break out the tennis rackets and the golf clubs because that’s what the temps are going to inspire you to want to do. Before we get into the Spring-like weather ahead, let’s talk normals and records.

Last year on this very same day we had 6” of snow! Highs were in the 30° range and it was winter!  Actually this time last year over the next few days we saw about one foot of snow from March 9th to March 12th. That was part of that FAST FINISH that made Winter seem like Winter last season.

The record high for this date in weather history was a 74° reading back in 2000.  Before you doomsday people start talking of global warming…the record low was only four years prior in 1996 with a MINUS 2° temp.  The record single day snowfall for this date in weather history?  That was LAST YEAR with 6” on March 9th, 2005.

We won’t see ANY weather like that for at least a week or more.  Today expect beautiful blue skies and a high near 62°. There’s an 80% chance of a Spring Thunderstorm tonight with a low around 47°!  Friday should be nice with highs in the 62° range and lows around 40°.  Saturday will be variably cloudy with a 20% chance of rain and a high near 70°!  Sunday should be nice for the most part but there could be a 30% chance of a spring Thunderstorm. Monday will also be very springlike with a 30% chance of thunderstorms and a high around 66°.  Tuesday should cool a bit with highs around 58°.  Tuesday night drops to about 33° with a chance of snow or rain.  Wednesday gets cooler with highs in the 50° range and a 20% chance of rain.

Spring isn’t here yet and winter isn’t supposed to be over…but it sure looks like it!

Until Next Time!

Check out www.HighCountryWeather.com   for more information and also be sure to check out www.SkiSoutheast.com   for more weather information about ski resorts to the north!

Be sure to email photos, snow reports and comments to: [email protected]

Previous articleBreathtaking view from Snowshoe Mountain’s Cupp yesterday – Photo by Andrea Smith
Next articleSoutheast Ski Areas in for a Mild, Springlike Week Ahead!
Mike Doble
Mike is the Editor and founder of SkiSoutheast.com, SkiNC.com and ResortCams.com. Since September 1996 he has posted more than 13,000 posts, articles, photos and videos promoting all of the ski areas of North Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia, West Virginia and Maryland.Mike is the father of four daughters, is an avid skier and enjoys golf, tennis, kayaking and hiking in the mountains. Winter snowsports and Summer boating on Watauga Lake are among his favorite pastimes.