They also begin making snow!
Laura Parquette just got up with us to announce that Snowshoe Mountain in West Virginia picked up about 1.5" of natural snow and they cranked up their snowmaking equipment as well!
According to their official press release, they began making snow at midnight, which was about 6 hours before Cataloochee began making snow. They will make snow as long as temperatures allow!
Here’s the official announcement that came from the mountain:
(Photo by Snowshoe Media)
Snowshoe, WV—It seems as though we just bid adieu to summer, but winter has already arrived at Snowshoe Mountain Resort. The West Virginia ski area had 1.5” of snowfall this weekend, and flurries continued into Sunday morning. The resort also fired up the snow guns for the first time this season, complimenting Mother Nature’s efforts with its region’s-best snowmaking equipment.
Snowshoe is often the first resort in the mid-Atlantic and Southeast to begin snowmaking efforts and see natural flakes. With a peak elevation of 4848’ and a unique microclimate, the resort often sees colder temperatures and more wintry precipitation than the rest of the region. Snowshoe averages 180” of snowfall a year, and last year had a similar early start to the season with the first snow on Oct 28th. That snowfall kicked off one of Snowshoe’s snowiest seasons in recent memory, with a total of 209” falling before April was over. This season, advanced forecast models are calling for another cold, snowy winter in the mid-Atlantic, and Snowshoe could easily surpass the 200” again.
With a great early season jump on conditions, Snowshoe plans for a November 25th opening for the ski season, but may open earlier if conditions allow. Last season Snowshoe opened on November 21st, five days earlier than planned, after more than 40” of natural snow fell on the resort prior to that date.
With the excitement surrounding the year’s first snowfall, Snowshoe is currently offering some great early season deals, including a great 4th night free offer. Snowshoe’s Hot Deals can be found at snowshoemtn.com, and reservations may be made by visiting snowshoemtn.com, or by calling 877-441-4FUN.
• Snowshoe Mountain resort received its first snowfall of the season over the weekend.
• Snow began falling late Friday night and flurries continue Sunday morning
• An inch and a half of snow has accumulated on the mountaintop
• Snowmaking began at midnight Sunday and continues through Sunday morning
• Snowshoe will continue to make snow as long as Mother Nature allows
• More freezing overnight temperatures are in the forecast for later this week, and Snowshoe will make snow whenever possible
• The resort has tentatively scheduled Opening Day for the 09/10 Ski Season for Nov 25th, but may open sooner if conditions allow
• Last season the resort saw its first snowfall on Oct 28th
• Last season’s snowfall total was 209”, including 67” in October and
• Forecast models are calling for a cold, snowy winter for the southeast region, including Snowshoe
• The resort sees an annual average of 180” of natural snowfall and has one of the most advanced snowmaking systems in the country
• More information at snowshoemtn.com or 877-441-4FUN
For more details on all of Snowshoe’s early season operations and reservations, visit http://www.snowshoemtn.com or call 1-877-441-4FUN.
Send your comments to: firstname.lastname@example.org