In Europe, skiing has a rich history and tradition. Ski towns in the Alps are prolific, and before modern transportation, access from ski area to ski area was tricky. One of the most legendary town-to-town treks is called the Haute Route. Specifically, this epic goes from Chamonix, France to Zermatt, Switzerland across 180km (111 miles) and spans roughly 7 days.
Believe it or not our region has it’s own little ‘Haute Route’ that spans 3 ski areas . . . Canaan Valley State Park, Whitegrass Ski Touring Center, and Timberline Four Seasons. Here are the ROUGH basics: Breakfast and then take the ski lift up Canaan Valley, trek over on ‘Pipeline’ to Whitegrass Ski Touring center. Pit stop at Whitegrass, where lunch is available. Continue onward toward Timberline. Finish off by getting some glory runs and a meal at Timberline.
Justin Harris of Canaan Valley is embarking on ‘Canaan to White Grass’ so be sure to check out his adventure. Certainly on my bucket list!
A little winter warm up for West Virginia
- Canaan Valley:
- Valley Vista and Meadows 1 have terrain features and whales can be found to play on
- Tuesdays are BOGO
- “Weather looks to flip the winter switch back on by the end of the week, with snow forecasted for three straight days in to the beginning of next week.”
- Snowshoe Mountain: “Mild temperatures and softer snow should make for a super fun day to get out and make some turns.”
- Moguls galore . . . “If you’re a big fan of skiing bumps, AKA moguls, we’ve got quite a selection at the moment. Knotbumper, Camp 99, Lower Ballhooter, Lower Shay’s, and Flying Eagle are all sporting some nice bumps right now so channel your inner Johnny Moseley and go get after it.”
- The results are in from the annual Cupp Run Challenge. Congrats to all racers who tackled the Giant Slalom course . . . 2019 Cupp Run Results
- Evolution is closed for a park build this week.
- Winterplace: Holding up nicely as Winterplace is open on 25 (of 27 runs).
- Timberline: Trimmed down to two runs and one lift open
- (Beginner) Crossroads and Woods Hole, served by Gobbler’s Gulch
NC might hit some record high temps this week
- App: 100% Open Terrain and Lifts
- Terrain Park news: Features include knuckle, roller, small jump, A-frame box, and flat box.
- A little toasty, but no bother . . .
- Consider class in session! . . . “Tuesdays are Homeschool Days and homeschoolers and their teachers with proper i.d. receive discounts on lift tickets, lessons and rentals.”
- “Even with the warmer temps this week, if you take a look at our webcams here you know what great conditions are in store!”
- Beech Mountain: 14 (of 17) runs open on a 36-74″ packed and groomed base.
- Forecast is warm and wet, with skies clearing later today: “A chance of rain and patchy fog before 8am, then patchy fog and a slight chance of rain between 8am and 1pm. Partly sunny, with a high near 50.”
- Next snowboard race is upon us . . . Banked Slalom
- Wolf: 10 (of 15) runs open on a 52″ groomed base.
- 2 For Tuesday – Buy 1 Lift Ticket, Get 1 Free
- Mostly cloudy with a high of 58 degrees this afternoon
Wisp keeps the fun going!
- Debut’s an electric accordian . . . “We had a ton of fun up here over the weekend with our 1st Black Strap Rail Jam of the season and an electric accordion player getting us in the singing spirit at #ApresWisp.”
- Today: “A chance of showers, mainly before noon. Cloudy, with a high near 49. West wind 9 to 11 mph. Chance of precipitation is 50%. New precipitation amounts of less than a tenth of an inch possible.”
- The new details on Lower Boulder Park, “(4 Features) – 2 Boxes, 2 Hip Jumps”.
- Nordic Center is closed as snow continues to melt
VA is 100% open!
- Wintergreen: 25 (of 25) runs open
- Today . . . “The sun will be out all day and temps just a little warmer than yesterday. Come up and work on your winter tan.”
- Later this week . . . “Cold is coming back Friday night and we’ll unleash SNOWPOWER to refresh the slopes in time for the weekend.”
- Massanutten: 14 (of 14) runs open
- Today . . . “The spring like weather continues with highs near 60.”
- Not to worry . . . “Last weeks snowmaking has left the base deep and winter temps are forecasted to return for the weekend so get out and enjoy the sun and snow.”
- Trimmed down hours on Tuesdays . . . We’ll be open 9:00 am – 5:00 pm for skiing and riding and 12:00 Pm – 8:00 pm for snow tubing.
- Omni Homestead: 9 (of 9) runs open
- 30″ groomed / frozen granular base.
- Open 10am-4pm on Tuesdays (and Thursdays)
- Bryce: 8 (of 8) runs open until 5pm, Tuesdays.
- 4 beginner runs
- 3 intermediate runs
- 1 advanced run
Ober is in fine shape with their warm weather snowmaking system
- Ober: “Slopes are all groomed except for Mogul. We have switched over to our warm weather snowmaking again based on the temps in the forecast. Friday is looking to have some cold temps move in, thankfully.”
- Plan ahead:
- Feb 5: TONIGHT! Ladies Night (Free Night Session lift ticket with the exchange of $10 donation or 10 canned/non-perishable food items!)Feb 7: College Night (Free Night Session lift ticket with the exchange of $10 donation or 10 canned/non-perishable food items!)Feb 7: OG Race Program! Join us– take 2 laps in 2 hours, get timed and win!! More info here // Sign up here
- Plan ahead:
That’s all for today.
We’d REALLY LOVE IT…if you would:
Subscribe to Our YouTube Channel < For great Video Notifications
Like Us on Facebook! < The Best Ski Resort News Around! If you LIKE us you will automatically be eligible to win free lift tickets and other giveaways that we do all season long!
If you want to drop me an email or comment, feel free. Your thoughts, trip reports, input, suggestions or general commentaries are welcome.
Email me your thoughts, comments or any news to [email protected]