The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

Canaan Valley Areas 2014-2015 Conditions and Meet-Ups

Converse on all ski and snowboard subjects - All things skiing, snowboarding, Q&A, gear, etc.

Please attempt to keep all comments within this forum related to skiing or snowboarding related content.

Profanity and Comments STRONGLY Monitored and enforced. (Keep it Clean! G-Rated)
davidski
Expert

I'm glad you know about the food bank deal I think it is so cool that CV does that, as far as other lift deals, I think TL and CVs window prices are so much better then any provided elsewhere in the southeast that I really just pay them and don't worry

I would ski with you if I were there but my best hope now is this friday. In years past I stayed at the old lodge and it was amongst the nicest places I've stayed when skiing, although my standards are low I found it clean, convenient, nondescript but quite nice; I have heard the upgrade is excellent.

Have fun -- the Canaan Valley is an amazing place year round
Kelly K
Beginner

davidski wrote: I stayed at the old lodge and it was amongst the nicest places I've stayed when skiing, although my standards are low I found it clean, convenient, nondescript but quite nice; I have heard the upgrade is excellent.

Have fun -- the Canaan Valley is an amazing place year round
The new lodge should be a great improvement for them. I can't believe the old lodge is the "nicest place" anyone has stayed!
Some new snow would be nice but they are close to 100% open and I expect TL to open more terrain before then too.I imagine skiing on a monday and tuesday the place will be vacant. The last time I skied there during the week there might have been 20 people total there. I am only doing one day at each.

I am trying to figure out the best route from Nashville if anyone can chime in. Google and Mapquest seem to far less reliable when it comes to going thru small mountain towns. I would just like to avoid driving long distances on a crappy road like 219 especially in the snow. Google takes me north from Nashville up thru Lexington, KY-then Charelston-via 64 and then picking up 79N to 33 and north on 32. Does that sound right? I tried looking at the directions on CV page but it does not offer advice for people coming from TN. If I were going to SS i would be going the I-40E-to 81 and then 77N up to Beckley -64E-92N-219. Maybe I should just go that way and just keep going up 219N to 33-32? This second route is a bit longer there is also a third option it gives me which is similar to this last one except it takes me thru Blacksburg and Roanoke and US 220/US 60
davidski
Expert

Kelly K wrote:I can't believe the old lodge is the "nicest place" anyone has stayed!
....WHEN SKIING
Droogie
Advanced

Good to see this thread finally getting some traction! Sorry for not posting my CV trip last week. I'm lazy.

I will be in Winter Park for 4 days of skiing (Friday-Tuesday) so this weekend is out for the CV for me. Next weekend the 7-8 will be a no-go as well. We are conveniently going to Denver for a conference my wife is attending and we are skiing ahead of time Saturday-Tuesday. Then my wife is staying for the conference starting Wednesday and gets back Saturday afternoon. I don't know that I have enough credit in the bank of goodwill to make her get a cab from the airport and not get home until Sunday evening.

Go get it people!
Kelly K
Beginner

You know if it were not for this site I seriously doubt I would have ever gone to CV/TL. So i want to give a big thank you to Davidski and Teledave and a few others who have sung the praises of the Valley the over the years with their great TR's that actually had pics (unlike mine). Sure its a long drive but I actually kind of enjoy that. It also gives me a really cheap place to ski on years when I can't spend more to go out west. This year the wife and I are headed to Switzerland and Italy in Sept for 2 weeks so the ski budget is pretty low this year.
Kelly K
Beginner

davidski wrote:
Kelly K wrote:I can't believe the old lodge is the "nicest place" anyone has stayed!
....WHEN SKIING
LOL

if I knew how to post pics I would have to put a few up of our trip last year when we stayed at the St Regis Deer Valley-talk about stunning. It was the nicest place I have ever stayed period. They really,really spoil you. One area that I have always been willing to splurge, and probably spend more than I should, is 5 star hotels but that one was a bit of a stretch for the budget.

here are some good shots from their website....

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/stregis/p ... rtyID=1588
Droogie
Advanced

13 inches of snow on the ground at 3700 ft according to http://data.canaanmtnsnow.com/.

I was there over MLK weekend and can vouch that the bottom 4 inches of that is bullet proof. Then several inches fell on top of that and it rained a bit only to have about a foot more fall on top of that.

Just about everything should be in play!
Kelly K
Beginner

Awesome! Thanks for the heads up.

I talked to somebody there today and they said they got about 4 more inches last night
Kelly K
Beginner

Things are looking really good in the Valley for my trip. Looks like they got another 2.5 last night with another 2-4 forecast for today. They are also calling for snow on Sunday :mrgreen:

As I sit here I am seriously thinking about changing this up a bit. I still plan on hitting CV on the 2nd all day, but I am very temped to hit Wisp the next day mainly because its so close and I have never been. I could in theory still hit TL for half a day on the 4th before driving back if my legs have anything left in them. hmm
BaZinGa
Advanced

Kelly K wrote:Things are looking really good in the Valley for my trip. Looks like they got another 2.5 last night with another 2-4 forecast for today. They are also calling for snow on Sunday :mrgreen:

As I sit here I am seriously thinking about changing this up a bit. I still plan on hitting CV on the 2nd all day, but I am very temped to hit Wisp the next day mainly because its so close and I have never been. I could in theory still hit TL for half a day on the 4th before driving back if my legs have anything left in them. hmm
I like Wisp. Definitely worth a visit if you've never been. They have a great weekday stay & ski package $84 pp pn includes room & lift ticket but based on double occupancy so may not help you much this time. Also $39 lift tickets on Monday.

CV also has a package that includes lift ticket with stay.

Should be a great time to go, enjoy!