The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

Skiing Wintergreen with snow making on?

Converse on all ski and snowboard subjects - All things skiing, snowboarding, Q&A, gear, etc.

Please attempt to keep all comments within this forum related to skiing or snowboarding related content.

Profanity and Comments STRONGLY Monitored and enforced. (Keep it Clean! G-Rated)
Woodsrider427
Beginner

Does anyone know if Wintergreen is as bad as Sugar when the snow makers are going? Sugar seems to have a lot of guns right in your face, wondering if Wintergreen is the same. I was planning to day trip to Wintergreen on Friday but they announced they will be on around the clock even on open trails. I completely understand why, just debating whether it's worth taking a day off.
marzski
Advanced

Been a long time since I've been at Wintergreen with any snow guns on. I don't remember it being a big issue on Acorn since that's where my daughter was skiing back then. No memories of low guns on Highlands.

FYI, I got to Massanutten around 6pm today. Temp at the base was already down to 28 degrees and there were a lot of snow guns on already. Will be skiing Thu-Sun. Demo days Jan. 12-13. I might stay over Sun night too. :-)
2023-24: Wolf Creek in Dec, Massanutten in Jan, Feb; GT, Big Sky; Crested Butte; Alta/Snowbird in April.
marzski
Advanced

There is a day bus of Boy Scouts headed to Wintergreen on Sat, Jan. 12. A friend will be on it with her Boy Scout and his little sister. I'll be interested to hear what they think of Wintergreen in comparison to Massanutten. They learned to ski at Massanutten when I started taking them for holiday weekends when the boy was 6 and his sister was 4. Mother started learning then too. Kids are tweens now and are advanced skiers. Since their mom liked Alta greens and easy blues during during their first spring break trip, the kids get to go for the third time this April.
2023-24: Wolf Creek in Dec, Massanutten in Jan, Feb; GT, Big Sky; Crested Butte; Alta/Snowbird in April.
Woodsrider427
Beginner

Thanks for the feedback. I'll likely go regardless, still better than working!!
brigand
Beginner

Just to confirm marzski's comment - I hit Wintergreen all the time, multiple trips every year. I have not once been there when the blowers were on. I think they have a policy of only making snow at night.
Woodsrider427
Beginner

brigand wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:49 pm Just to confirm marzski's comment - I hit Wintergreen all the time, multiple trips every year. I have not once been there when the blowers were on. I think they have a policy of only making snow at night.
Yes, normally I think that is correct, but they had posted a message that due to the circumstances they were going to run them 24/7 while they could to try and catch up (I assumed maybe this wasn’t the first time for that). I ended up going anyway and it wasn't bad at all. They didn't have every one of them on, just sporadically around the open trails.
brigand
Beginner

Woodsrider427 wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:47 pm
brigand wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:49 pm Just to confirm marzski's comment - I hit Wintergreen all the time, multiple trips every year. I have not once been there when the blowers were on. I think they have a policy of only making snow at night.
Yes, normally I think that is correct, but they had posted a message that due to the circumstances they were going to run them 24/7 while they could to try and catch up (I assumed maybe this wasn’t the first time for that). I ended up going anyway and it wasn't bad at all. They didn't have every one of them on, just sporadically around the open trails.
Yeah, I stand corrected. Just looked at the web cams and they are indeed on while people are skiing.
Woodsrider427
Beginner

brigand wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:39 am
Woodsrider427 wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:47 pm
Yeah, I stand corrected. Just looked at the web cams and they are indeed on while people are skiing.
I totally understand why they have to do it, it was still thin in some spots. Especially at the top of Eagle’s Swoop, I wish I hadn’t used my newer skis.
davidski
Expert

They def will blow, but the guns are well.placed and its rare that you have to ski directly into them