The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

Best route - Raleigh/Durham NC to Snowshow?

Converse on all ski and snowboard subjects - All things skiing, snowboarding, Q&A, gear, etc.

Please attempt to keep all comments within this forum related to skiing or snowboarding related content.

Profanity and Comments STRONGLY Monitored and enforced. (Keep it Clean! G-Rated)
donohuetom
Beginner

I have searched here and found a few old threads with a few different options- wondering if any roads have changed or routes improved. I am driving up next weekend- Google maps says Raleigh-Danville-Lynchburg-Lexington-Snowshoe. But part of me thinks it might be better to go all Interstate: i40-i77-i64 to us219. Any suggestions? I will be driving overnight/early in morning and it looks like it might be snowing when I go. I have 4wheel drive and chains, but prefer to not need to use them! Thanks!!
davidski
Expert

Go to white sulpher springs and then up 92 and left on 39 to Marlinton then at marlinton you join 219.

Such a beautiful drive, very small highways but very smooth as they follow the river valley
Woodsrider427
Beginner

I always go the Lynchburg-Lexington route but through South Boston since I live up near Creedmoor. I think it's definitely the fastest way, although weather can mess that up. The interstate route is definitely out of the way. From Danville you can cut over to Martinsville and up to Roanoke which cuts out the windy road from Lynchburg to Lexington (Route 60) if the weather is going to be bad in that area. If the bad weather is going to be up in WV I don't think it really matters, I don't think 39 is that much more windy than 219 from what I remember. I have heard that 92, which Davidski mentioned, is a straighter run and eliminates some of the twisty areas of 39 but I've never gone that way.
donohuetom
Beginner

Got it- thanks guys!
2slikstix
Expert
Tagline: Tree Whore

Let us know how you did as many from the area travel up the the Shoe
"You mean there is Two of them??"
"it's about 10 very heavy inches. I can drive it but it sure will be slow"
grinderstation
Beginner

listen to daveski. 219 follows the mntn ridge and is a freakin rollercoaster. 92 is a nice, flat , straight shot.
bfeller
Intermediate

If I lived in Wake Forest, The interstate route.

If I live in Durham, north through Hillsborough 86? I believe, then connecting to the route out of Greensboro..... I forget the street numbers.
pagamony
Advanced

haha, like the back of my hand.... 5.5 hours if you nail it straight through.

I40 to efland, CR1004 to NC86 to Danville, US58 to Martinsville, US220 to Clifton Forge, I64 to WV92, WV92 to WV66, turn right into SS. easy peasy.

in efland, missys diner has the best cheapest ham sandwiches anywhere. biscuits are iffy.
on US58 look for rock house convenience store, on right, load up on biscuits
on 220 get gas north of roanoke in Daleville, expensive afterwards
in Clifton Forge excellent family italian restaurant downtown
in White Sulphur springs last chance for gas and snacks

On WV92 pick up the Allegheny Mountain Radio network on 1370 AM (Frost, WV).
davidski
Expert