The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

New guy intro

Introduce yourself to the masses and join in on the fun!
Once/year
Beginner

Posted a couple times, but haven't intro-d myself properly. I dig yall's community, and I'm excited to learn about more people who have a passion for skiing in the southeast. I've kindof just assumed that no one else in the SE really gets that enthusiastic about skiing, but finding this forum has proven me wrong. You folks have the STOKE. And, I might add, considerably less attitude about it.

I live in the ATL. I get in a lot of days each year, but I've been very lucky and almost all of those days are on the left side of the country, or elsewhere. We have a good airport, I use it on short notice--direct flights to Jackson, Telluride, Reno, SLC, Denver. My incredible wife has supported my obsession. I try to tick off one or two major "bucket" missions every year, and get 50-60 days in.

But a BABY is on the way! Our first. Or, rather, from the existing pics, something resembling a gummi bear is on the way. Gummi Bear is gonna need to learn to ski. And I'm excited to teach said GummiBear in the southeast (actually, it's gonna be another 5 months, so I'm gonna squeeze one more complete "western" season out of this before the inevitable slowdown).

Around here, the Cat is the place I've gone a few times recently, though over my life I've been to most of the southeastern spots. Sometimes I go to the Cat to test equipment for upcoming trips. I was there a few years ago, lapping up with skins (with a pass and ski patrol's permission) to get familiar with a new setup before I put it to the test on Red Mountain Pass in CO. Lot of catcalls from the lifts. Here are my favorites:

"Son, you goin the WRONG way!" (This one was the most common. Obv the low-hanging fruit, but it nonetheless elicited lots of laughs from the other chairs within earshot).

"How you wearing a T-shirt, mang?" (I answered, matter-of-factly, that it was currently 60 degrees. My interrogator was sweating profusely in his fully steezed snowboard apparel. FYI: I only have LOVE for the slowboarders, er, I mean, snowboarders.

"HEY MANG! How you ain't SLIPPIN?"
(This guy won. I want a bumper sticker that says that.)

I look forward to maybe seeing some of you folks out and about this season, if it ever snows.

And reading your TRs! I dig Davidski's recent trip--that's a sweet quick-strike he just pulled off. And the edits some of you have for SE ski trips are pretty awesome.

Best of luck for the season to everyone here.
swamphox
Expert

Welcome aboard....

Where in the ATL?
Live slow, die whenever.....

Days on Snow 22-23
Cat 5
app 1
sugar 1
ober 1
winterplace 2
Homewood 3
Once/year
Beginner

Thanks,
East Atlanta Village.
yardsale
Expert

Once/year wrote: slowboarders
yeah they are!

welcome!
:D :) ;) :( :o :shock: :? 8-) :lol: :x :P :oops: :cry: :evil: :twisted: :roll: :!: :?: :idea: :arrow: :| :mrgreen: :geek: :ugeek:
swamphox
Expert

Eav...im down there a lot with work. Enjoy the krog st tunnel and art by totem....i know i do
Live slow, die whenever.....

Days on Snow 22-23
Cat 5
app 1
sugar 1
ober 1
winterplace 2
Homewood 3
davidski
Expert

I did the uphill thing at Beech last year, no one said a word though because the quad was having one of it's episodes and thus was empty..

Welcome to the board, it's cool that new people are climbing on

Hey did you post stuff somewhere about your Red Mountain excursion? I've never even driven over that pass