The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

Hello. 2014/1015 planning

Introduce yourself to the masses and join in on the fun!
bmccrary
Beginner

Hello all. I have been lurking on here in the past.  Just to see updates on events, etc.  I learned to ride at Winterplace in 2010 and I have been enjoying the east coast riding from then on. I mostly ride at Beech.  I like the vibe there better than Sugar and I can get discount tickets there for all day passes here in Winston Salem. Win win.

This year I am planning a trip out to Colorado.  Doing the 4 day epic pass to ride Vail, Breck, A basin and Keystone. I have purchased my plane tickets already but now my friends and I are trying to figure out lodging and transportation. I know this is an east coast message board, but I was wondering if I could get a discussion going somewhere on the forum to get the east coast advise on planning this trip?  If that's acceptable, where should I post it? I didnt see anything related to travel skiing/riding.

Thanks in advance!
"Experiencing the world through second hand information isn't enough. If we want authenticity we have to initiate it. We will never know our full potential unless we push ourselves to find it." -Travis Rice
mommehK
Expert

Hi -

If you're okay with skipping Breck & Vail, grabbing the Keystone/A-Bay 4-pack for $179 is quite a bit cheaper than doing the 4-day Epic for $409.

I have friends who live up in that area & have posed the question to them about good/cheap lodging.  If you have your plane tickets, what time of year are you going?

bmccrary
Beginner

My flight is Friday evening Jan 16th. Myself and 2 other guys are flying out at the same time. We are to arrive after midnight in Denver that Friday. Planning on riding that Sat - Tuesday. Possibly Wednesday.  (MLK weekend) I was a little worried about that timing due to the crowds we see here on the east coast.  A good friend of ours works as ski patrol on Keystone, she assured us that it wont be terrible. We are the type to wait on first chair, so if we get there early and head to the top early we will miss a majority of the traffic.

Looks like the shuttles stop running normal routes that late in Denver. We could get private shuttles at a hefty fee or just wait till the first one arrives at 8:30am.  Rental cars are looking pricey too. 500-600 for that time. Our thought process with having a rental car is to be able to move around as we like.  If we ride most of the day and want to spend more time at dinner, etc we can. We would like to be in control of the timing in our trip as opposed to planning around the bus schedule.  Any input on this?

As a joke I started looking into renting an RV. It actually looks to be quite affordable.  I was shocked.  I am not sure how that will play out yet as we have to get to the rental place on Sat morning. Details to figure out there.. but still an option I guess. Need to figure out where to park it over night. Walmart? haha
"Experiencing the world through second hand information isn't enough. If we want authenticity we have to initiate it. We will never know our full potential unless we push ourselves to find it." -Travis Rice
SKISC
Expert

Look at Hotel Frisco in Frisco, CO.  15 Minutes to Keystone, 20ish to A Basin, 20 to 25 to Vail.  I just like the place and the town is pretty cool.  Rates are not too bad either.  Nice and cozy.  If you are looking for a place like the Ritz then stay at Vail.
bmccrary
Beginner

Not so much on staying at Vail. Recent college grad with student loans and still enjoy the adventures that come with cheap lodging. :P
bmccrary
Beginner

Thank you for the advice.  I have noticed that fox seems to have the lowest rates of the others.

Beaver creek is on the list of ones we might see. I am not sure what the priority will be, I suppose that will be decided once we get there and see what the conditions are on each mountain.  Looks like we are riding Saturday- Wednesday now.

Thanks for the heads up on the highway travel. We did pretty well driving through winter storm Pax last year, but that was in a 4 wheel drive jeep on roads we are pretty familiar with.  Is there a website that shows the road conditions at the passes between the airport and the resorts?