The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

Hello - Looking for advice for next Christmas break

Introduce yourself to the masses and join in on the fun!
davidski
Expert

Tyrell if you are carrying the burden of finding deep snow and low crowds around here around Christmas, then you have my sympathies. But all the advice is good, and even look to midday alternatives wherever you go, take the crew out somewhere midday or if you get a slope-side place make lunch the big deal and ski morning and evening. If your people don't have skis make sure you get that sorted out sometime before the morning of the first day -- once a newbie or bitter in-law, difficult sibling, or whatever... once they spend an hour and a half in rental hell they will never forgive or forget ... and small children will end up in therapy later with symptoms that are actually masking that early traumatic event.

On a serious note -- NOT that I am not deadly serious. Have fun, get your lemmings together and jump off the cliff. Also, if I'm around I'd love to meet you and make some turns, or stops depending on crowds

@marzski 298935 wrote: Those who are advanced intermediate and above can ski off Lift 6 without a lift line all the time. At least, that's been my experience on holiday weekends so I imagine it's about the same during Christmas holidays.

Marzski that's pretty interesting -- I've got to get there this season, Snowshoe is becoming a nightmare in terms of crowds; the amazing passes (and I'm culpable) have made it noticeably worse
pagamony
Advanced

Regarding the week before xmas at the shoe, we have had good luck recently . Snow was good, 50% or more slopes open, including cup run, prices are lower, crowds were average. Two of those years had ridiculous deep natural snow, those were outliers for sure, but it is possible. Last year we had one crazy rain day, but otherwise good. Like it or not shoe would have the most reliable snow this time of year, sorry. This year xmas is on a Thursday, so Sunday through Wednesday should be safe. During the xmas to new years week, I would just wish you good luck no matter where you go.

Wintergreen will be the most crowded ski area in the country, perhaps. It will turn into Miami north. Avoid at all costs.

Strangely, I might be willing to try Winterplace for a 2 day trip. They have powerful snowmaking and I don't know how many church groups take humongous bus trips over the holiday. Just a random thought. Anyone ever try it ?

A couple of years ago we went to App and Beech on NYE and NYD and it was really pretty good for what you get.

Tline and CV don't invest so much in snow making, so booking a trip that early to those locations is true roulette. You might get pow, you might get mud. After MLK is the time to go in that direction. Once the regular snow cycle can build up the base, this is the place to be. Renting a cabin at Tline is fab.
davidski
Expert

@pagamony 299087 wrote: Renting a cabin at Tline is fab.

Dear wife and I may be renting a studio apt on top of one of the main street buildings in Thomas next weekend...she'll see the Valley that she's so patient with me going to in the winter -- and she will hike me into the ground (in about two minutes)

Hopefully we will see a show at the Purple Fiddle, inflicting that accommodation on her-- not a chance.
pagamony
Advanced

@davidski 299116 wrote:Dear wife and I may be renting a studio apt on top of one of the main street buildings in Thomas next weekend...she'll see the Valley that she's so patient with me going to in the winter -- and she will hike me into the ground (in about two minutes)

Hopefully we will see a show at the Purple Fiddle, inflicting that accommodation on her-- not a chance.

so, how'd it go ....?
2slikstix
Expert
Tagline: Tree Whore

Christmas week plans to ski trip? Yeah...Trippin . That is the busiest and least predictable time of year for snow quality. Its a gamble.

"You mean there is Two of them??"
"it's about 10 very heavy inches. I can drive it but it sure will be slow"
scotus
Intermediate

@2slikstix 299169 wrote:Christmas week plans to ski trip? Yeah...Trippin . That is the busiest and least predictable time of year for snow quality. Its a gamble.

I usually go the week of Christmas and frankly its not bad before christmas and christmas day. Now the week between xmas and through new years is a different story.
tyrell
Beginner

Update:

We decided to take the gamble and booked a house on salamander at tline. I think everyone pretty much has tempered their expectations. Figure we'll probably start at canaan since they have a magic carpet. I'll let you guys know how it .

Thanks for all the great advice!
Last edited by tyrell on Thu Nov 13, 2014 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I want more life...
SKISC
Expert

tyrell wrote:Update:

We decided to take the gamble and booked a house on salamander at tline. I think everyone pretty much has tempered their expectations. Figure we'll probably start at canaan since they have a magic carpet. I'll let you guys know how it .

Thagoesnks for all the great advice!
You will really enjoy T Line. The lifts are slow but they have some of the best skiing in the Mid Atlantic. If I were planning a trip based purely on the skiing experience and nothing else that's were I would go around here.