The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

Hound Ears Ski Slopes, Blowing Rock, North Carolina

Discuss Lost or Closed NC Ski Areas here
adm1n
Intermediate

Hound Ears Resort Community and Golf Course is still in operation as a golf community. According to David Blust the resort used to have a couple of beginner trails that was operated mostly for guests to enjoy during winter stays. They had ONE chair lift and a rope tow.

The four-season resort still offers activities such as golf, tennis, swimming, and dining, and used to offer downhill skiing on two slopes.

Hound Ridge began skiing in the mid-1960s and operated until around 1991. They did some snowmaking and depended a lot on natural snow.

The ski area was almost an afterthought to the resort's other amenities. Ski slopes were tried almost as an attempt to give Hound Ears land owners something else for their money. The slopes had a very "private" feel to it as skiers were either homeowners or guests of the resort's packaged "stay and ski".

If you have any information or photos about this ski area, post here or drop us an email at [email protected]. This portion of the messageboard was implemented so that those who have skied or played at any of the closed ski areas can share their experiences and discuss "old times". Understand that the content shared may not be 100% accurate.
adm1n
Intermediate

I personally remember visiting this ski area in 1990 as a newbie skier, looking for an easy place to learn. I thought Appalachian and Beech were a little too steep for my then girlfriend so we drove up and to Hound Ears. After visiting and watching a little while, we drove over to Appalachian and skied our first runs there.
jamsandwich
Expert

can anyone give me a reference about where the slopes were? i drive by here a couple times a week and its always been in the back of my mind. thanks
yardsale
Expert

my guess is here:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source= ... 5&t=h&z=14

near the golf course at shulls mill. i've been looking for abandoned slopes, but seeing as how there were only two and it closed 20 years ago i'm not really sure
:D :) ;) :( :o :shock: :? 8-) :lol: :x :P :oops: :cry: :evil: :twisted: :roll: :!: :?: :idea: :arrow: :| :mrgreen: :geek: :ugeek:
ericwberg

jamsandwich;226072 wrote:
can anyone give me a reference about where the slopes were? I drive by here a couple times a week and its always been in the back of my mind. Thanks

i skied there in the 1960's and i remember the slope in the back of the main building. The ski shop/rental/tickets were in the basement (golf shop converted?)
adm1n
Intermediate

You could definately see the slopes right from the main drive into Hound Ears. I remember that the slopes were open to the public at one time and all you had to do was tell the person at the guard gate that - and they'd let you right in - kind of like the guard gate at Chetola in Blowing Rock.
sts9shredder
Beginner

the two "slopes" are still there and you can barely make them out on google. During big snowstorms I have made some kickers with friends and messed around on the larger slope. They are kind of shaded in the picture but the main slope starts near the corner of dogwood and linden and makes a dog leg turn up towards cedar lane. the smaller one is adjacent and is basicly a bunny hill

edit: great sledding hills!
skiing rules
Expert

Skiatlanta, atljibsteeze and myself drove around back there for about 3o minutes last january looking for it, but we couldn't find it so we left and went to hawks
Tmiller72
Expert

A LONG time ago I had just bought a Burton Cruizer snowboard ('89 or '90?). I went over to Hound Ears to ask if I could use it there, they had no idea what a snowboard was. haha
2019-20

Beech: 10
Snowshoe: 3
Alta: 2
Brighton: 1
Solitude: 1
Jackson Hole: 2
Lee Smith
Beginner

Hounds Ear was the first place I ever skied as a 14 year old back in 1980 on a church youth group retreat. Took lessons on the bunny slope and they basically taught us how to snow plow. I tried it my first run down the main slope and wiped out the chair lift line. I have skied many runs since then over the past 30 years including the Birds of Prey world cup down hill at Beaver Creek but that day in 1980 at Hounds Ear was my last attempt at "snow plowing". The 1rst time I enrolled my kids in ski lessons was at Cooper Mt Colorado a few years back and 'snow plowing" was not in the curriculum thank God.