The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

Weather turn around coming?

This is the place to post your weather comments, photos, questions, maps and insight.
bennyG19
Beginner

@skipink 284997 wrote:So you are admitting it's your fault!

Yes, actually. I want to get my snowhating friends to pay for my pass next year to ensure a warm winter, or get my snowloving friends to pay me not to get a pass. Maybe I could set up an online fund for each and let the winner decide my fate, along with the fate of the weather...

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
marzski
Advanced

The wind shifted in northern VA last night. Temp was 47 near Mnut at midnight and is 42 as of 7am. Forecast for 1-3 inches on Thursday. More importantly, cold nights consistently starting tonight for at least a night, probably more. Marz Jr. has Jan. 28 off, as do our friends so hoping for the best by Jan. 25!

For Mnut, break even is 7 days for a full season pass good any time including weekends and holidays. One reason I drive past Wintergreen from Raleigh. Having a pass means that getting in an hour or two at night is worth doing without stopping to think about the cost of a lift ticket, or a couple hours on the day we drive back.
2023-24: Wolf Creek in Dec, Massanutten in Jan, Feb; GT, Big Sky; Crested Butte; Alta/Snowbird in April.
yardsale
Expert

@marzski 285069 wrote:for at least a night, probably more

hopefully they get at least 2 cold nights out of it
:D :) ;) :( :o :shock: :? 8-) :lol: :x :P :oops: :cry: :evil: :twisted: :roll: :!: :?: :idea: :arrow: :| :mrgreen: :geek: :ugeek:
MSDOG
Expert

Crazy arse weather down here today. Went from blizzard conditions and 3 inches of snow covering everything to now, 50 degrees and sunny and all the snow is gone from everything in sight. All within a 6 hour period of time.
Turboe44

Heading up to Beech (based on reccomendations from the folks here) for the first time ever in the am from Greenville, SC. A little concerned about the travel conditions and wonder if anyone on here has advice on the best roads to take up there.

The Beech website gives several options and I figured there is probably some inside information as to which is best, and which do they clear first?

Thanks!
Tmiller72
Expert

The snow has already started to taper off. Roads should be fine by the time you get here. They were a mess tonight though.
2019-20

Beech: 10
Snowshoe: 3
Alta: 2
Brighton: 1
Solitude: 1
Jackson Hole: 2
bennyG19
Beginner

@Turboe44 285146 wrote:Heading up to Beech (based on reccomendations from the folks here) for the first time ever in the am from Greenville, SC. A little concerned about the travel conditions and wonder if anyone on here has advice on the best roads to take up there.

The Beech website gives several options and I figured there is probably some inside information as to which is best, and which do they clear first?

Thanks!

If the roads are sketchy and you don't have 4x4 or AWD or chains and the light is blinking on the "4x4 or chains required past here" sign. Park and ride the Beech shuttle bus.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
skipink
Expert

Believe the sign if it is flashing! No point in being stuck in a ditch w/out 4x4 or chains.
"Nothing changes if nothing changes."
Bronco
Expert

@skipink 285189 wrote:Believe the sign if it is flashing! No point in being stuck in a ditch w/out 4x4 or chains.

What about a big a$$ truck w/4x4 in a ditch?:D
skipink
Expert

You mean like this?

"Nothing changes if nothing changes."