The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

a colorado trip, 1-12-2019

This is the spot to post your trail and trip reports. Please notify [email protected] when you do so that we can feature the better ones on the front of the website.
davidski
Expert

Last edited by davidski on Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
davidski
Expert

marzski
Advanced

Loveland, right?
2023-24: Wolf Creek in Dec, Massanutten in Jan, Feb; GT, Big Sky; Crested Butte; Alta/Snowbird in April.
jt3
Intermediate

Nice work David! Good for you.
davidski
Expert

Y'all this has been a dreadfully poor showing on my part, I just got home tonight but tomorrow I am going to post something more sensible

The pictures above are Berthoud pass, Loveland Ski area, and Old Manarch pass
davidski
Expert

Bought a season pass to loveland ($420) which gets tons of extra days at the independently minded places I prefer. Later I hope to use it in Idaho, Montana, BC. I also did three out of bounds ventures this trip. Given how easy it is to post pictures directly now (thanks Kenny) I'm just going to post and caption a few from each day -- I only had Five days skiing, but some were pretty long

Flew in Weds and out next Tues. my roundtrip on southwest RDU to DIA was $97, car rental, AWD for six days was $232 with full tank prepaid. Probably the best prices I've ever managed. I also spent four nights in hostels, Inn the Clouds (Leadville) and Salida hostel, both excellent, and two nights in Idaho springs , never particularly excellent.

Started at Berthoud pass, three laps of weirdly warm snow for January, but also an unusually good base for this time of year

Then picked up season pass at Loveland, their old chair one is now a very high speed quad

Used a free day at the little bitty but always lovely Ski Cooper, and an unexpected two day storm commenced

In the Clouds, formerly the Leadville Hostel

Next two days I spent at Monarch, I have skied there over a dozen times but this was the first time I really found all that this "small" mountain could offer, I could have spent another day at least further unraveling it.

Mirkwood, 20 to 30 minute Hike to terrain. There are two rock bands visible past my left elbow, that's where I went and found more buried in the seemingly deep powder between them, interesting

I finished there in the backcountry past Old Monarch Pass further up Highway 50

My last day I returned to Loveland, First for two laps off the top of Loveland Pass and then back in bounds with some runs off the ridge from Chair 9

spydeeTJB
Intermediate

Nice tour of duty and good to see you got a taste of some storm goodies.
davidski
Expert

thanks Spydee, JT and Marzski, it's hard to make a good old fashioned picture heavy trip report....
marzski
Advanced

davidski wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:39 pm thanks Spydee, JT and Marzski, it's hard to make a good old fashioned picture heavy trip report....
Looks like a fun trip! How cold was it? Teens or 20s?

Good to know it's easier to post pictures now.
2023-24: Wolf Creek in Dec, Massanutten in Jan, Feb; GT, Big Sky; Crested Butte; Alta/Snowbird in April.
davidski
Expert

I don't know, 30s to start, but 8-10 on clear mornings later, and just too happy, scared to know at the end of some days. Generally at the end when it was sunny it was very cold but not WINDY which at LL is unique