The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

The Official Skicop SkiSE Snowshoe Summit TR

This is the spot to post your trail and trip reports. Please notify [email protected] when you do so that we can feature the better ones on the front of the website.
SkiCop
Expert

2017 Snowshoe Summit TR

Warning: There are no pics because I didn't take any. I know, I suck.

The 2017 SkiSE/SkiNC Snowshoe Summit is in the books. Injuries (dirtbike and/ or stupid related) have kept me of the slopes for over a year, plus I have been busy being a football/ basketball/ baseball/ acting/ karate dad. As a matter of fact, we didn't ski at all during the 2015/ 2016 season and only once at Ober the year before. This year, when we asked our kids what they wanted for Christmas, they both said that they wanted to go skiing/ snowboarding. "Cool," says mom and dad. This has to have been worst year ever in history for skiing in the southeast. I started looking and reaching out to friends about where I could take mi familia and have decent conditions. The overwhelming response was to stay at mi casa. Then, I remembered that I was a member of tehmostawesomestmessageboardever, SkiNC/ SkiSE.com. A quick check of the forum reminded me that we indeed gathered once per annum at a slope of our choosing and relished in the sliding upon a snow-like substance at least every now and then. Enter the 2017 Snowshoe Summit. The SkiNC Summits were initially modeled after ones out west, popularized by huge forums like TGR. A small group of close friends who met through SkiNC/ SkiSE.com would meet up at a local hill, driggity drank some beers, and do something that resembled skiing/ snowboarding in addition to spitting, farting, grilling, and telling lies. Before long, Mike Doble decided that a tad more organization was in order and thus, the official Summit was born. Other events have followed, such as the time when Snowshoe invited several of us up to stay in the Shaver's Center in a "camp-out." Good times, except for a few members getting arrested for partaking of the sacred herb. Wasn't me.

Fast forward to spring of 2017. All of the advice I received was to basically forgo this year in lieu of next, in other words, conditions in the Southeast sucked chicken genitalia. Nay says I. A quick check of the messageboard revealed that life does go on without my presence and that a summit was in the works for 2017. Given that a man could get a discounted rate on accommodations and a free lifts for the Sabbath, I was all in. The forecast was touch and go when I booked, but I'm a ninja-like being and shall not be denied, much like Chuck Norris, only more bada$$. I reserved, Snowshoe delivered. After a ten hour journey, we arrived at the 'Shoe and checked in right away. It was late, we were tired, and we decided to forego a night session at Silver Creek in lieu of dinner at Foxfire Grill and a relaxing evening in our condo at Highland House. This was my boys' first experience at Snowshoe and they liked the "mountain village" theme of the resort. They have only been to Teh Cloudmont and Ober Gatlinburg, so they didn't really know what to think with everything being slopeside. The view from our room was of the Skidder Lift / Ballhooter Lift area. They got to see the wonderful staff at Snowshoe making snow and grooming from our balcony. We turned in fairly early in anticipation of the next day.

Saturday arrived earlier than I expected, and I was unable to rouse the others for the SkiSE gathering in the Village. I wasn't feeling very spry myself, but I managed to take a shower and get downstairs in time for the festivities. It was cold by SE standards, so I was feeling a bit under-dressed for the occasion. I took my place in the crowd, almost feeling like an outsider since there were so many new faces and, being in the back, I didn't see anyone I recognized. Even JefferyC had new ski garb. Mike and Co. did a webcast and then announced that they would be giving away two season passes for the the 2017-2018 season to Snowshoe. Yay says me. The first name got called. A very gracious winner stepped forward and claimed his prize. The second name was called. Crickets. Mike gave a reminder that you had to be present to win. Condolences were given for the unfortunate party, then Mike asked KenDawg to pick a number. Being the very astute number-picker that he is, he chose my number. Yep, mine. Yippie! Winner, winner, chicken dinner. I never win anything. I stepped forward and claimed my prize and immediately recognized many from the old crowd in the audience. We briefly go re-acquainted, then parted ways to get what we came for, vertical.

We had a great day. The boys soon realized that they hadn't been on snow for a while, so there was a bit of whining and moaning. That soon ended and we all had a great time in great conditions, much better that I would have ever dreamed that we would have when I booked the trip. We had lunch at Cheat Mountain Pizza, then returned to get some more snowy goodness. We stayed until last call, then got cleaned up and went to Hoots for the SkiSE gathering. I met up with more old friends and spent a couple of hours catching up on old times. I also discovered that several from the OG crew had season passes to Snowshoe and were spending more time there than before. My feeble mental wheels began to turn. I thought to myself, "yeah, it must be nice." When the party broke up, we went to The Junction and had a great dinner. We did a little shopping, then went back to the room, where I partook of an adult beverage in true CF'er style, then went to bed in true parent style.

Sunday morning. Last day. We packed up, got dressed, and headed to Top of the Mountain for first tracks. What a sweet deal that Mike and Co. were able to drum up. I made a lap, then decided that discretion is the better part of valor and signed off for the day. You see, back in the day, I thought I was a ski mountain assassin and got fitted up for some full-blown Atomic race boots. It seemed like a good idea at the time, but age and experience has taught me that a more sedate pace is more my style and forcing my feet into a boot that is tight by design and makes one bend at the knee like a repentant sinner is not for me anymore. In other words, I'm a *&%%$ and my feet hurt. LOL. London and the kids skied the rest of the day, then we all decided that it was time to get on the road.

The end result was that of many conversations on the ride home. We are not rich people by any means, but between us and the grandparents, my kids do not ask for much in the way of gifts. For that, we are blessed. What they did ask for, in no uncertain terms, was for season passes to Snowshoe for next year, the 2017-2018 season. I'm game. You know, on Saturday night, Mike told me that he had been asked, "why give it to Skicop?" He said that I won it and he felt that I would use it. He's right. That one pass sold three more and we plan on being on snow as many times as possible next season. The kids loved the variety of terrain and said that it was the best ski trip that they had ever been on.

I want to thank Mike Doble for putting this event together, as well as his company and the management at Snowshoe Mountain for doing all that they do. I had almost given up. I thought that life had gotten in the way and that skiing was something that we all would miss, but never have time to do, but I was reminded that where there is a will there is a way. I will use that pass, buy three more, and go back to enjoying one of my favorite activities on the face of this earth, skiing in the southeast.
Old Fart
Beginner

SkiCop wrote:I partook of an adult beverage in true CF'er style
Beers almost ready

Get out there with the kids, Keith. Good to see you back.