The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

App Ski Mtn 1-16-17

This is the spot to post your trail and trip reports. Please notify [email protected] when you do so that we can feature the better ones on the front of the website.
theKENDOG
Expert
Tagline: WOOO!!!

Went to App today with carvebeast. It was way more fun than I was expecting. It was warm and slushy as can be out. I was wearing a flannel shirt and I had to shed the layer of Under Armour underneath. Toasty. And you would sink several inches in the snow whenever walking. Basically, it felt like late March and not mid-January.

The fog in the morning was intense. I can't remember the last time I had such bad fog conditions driving up 321. You could barely see cars in front of you. The fog was prevalent at the ski area too when I arrived.

After I fixed their webcam, the fog began to lift though and the sun start to come through.

By late morning it was completely sunny.

We hung out in Appal Jack for the majority of the day. The jumps in Jam kind of sucked due to some bad landings. Jack was stacked with features.

I didn't take many pictures as I was having too much fun riding. I love slushy park days like today, just not necessarily in the middle of January. With the crappy week of weather ahead, I seriously have my doubts that App, or any ski area in NC for that matter, will be open come this time next week. App had a good amount of snow, but not as much as I honestly thought they'd have. The snow always melts faster than you think it will.

Maybe I'm being too pessimistic, but it's going to be in the 50's all week with rain on Friday and Sunday. It looks like cold finally returns early next week so we will see if they can eek through.
WOOOOOO!

davidski
Expert

theKENDOG wrote:

I like that picture, into the mystic... hopefully we have a season again starting in Feb. , I'm a selfish guy but now I'm really worried more for the local ski areas than my turns
swamphox
Expert

the fog jump pic is awesome
Live slow, die whenever.....

Days on Snow 22-23
Cat 5
app 1
sugar 1
ober 1
winterplace 2
Homewood 3