The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

Cataloochee 12-11-16

This is the spot to post your trail and trip reports. Please notify [email protected] when you do so that we can feature the better ones on the front of the website.
dwhicks10
Beginner
Tagline: "Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way … turn."

Cataloochee has done it again! They've taken a couple days of sub-freezing temps, and converted them into prime skiing and snowboarding real estate.

We spent the morning at Cat and don't have "much" negative to say. Cat was open all the way to the top, and coverage was superb all the way to the lodge. They even had Lower Snowbird open (sort of) which was a surprise to me. I don't think LS was listed when I left Knoxville at 6am this morning to head that way (I may have missed seeing it).

It still amazes me that they can produce such a solid base in such a short amount of time. I may be mistaken, but those look like new guns on Upper Omigosh. Were the "fancy yellow guns" there last season?

Anyway... Cat was outstanding today, as was the weather; blue skies in the mid 30's. The wind was a bit brutal though.

My one or two gripes are; Cat didn't open the Rock Island lift, so everyone was battling for the one lift up the mountain. I think if they would've opened the second lift ( not counting the Easy Way lift), many of the people wanting to hop off mid mountain would've been happy to use the Rock Island. The only other thing that was a bit bothersome was the access to Lower Snowbird. Without the Rock Island lift running, you had to make a blazing U-Turn off of Upper Omigosh, in hopes to make it far enough back up hill to access Lower Snowbird without having to walk.

Other than that, Cat was a blast! Here are a couple pics:
Upper Omigosh.jpg
Rock Island Run.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by dwhicks10 on Sun Dec 11, 2016 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David Hicks
Graphic Designer
davidski
Expert

nice TR, I better get out soon too

my wife, friends and neighbors all agree, I better get out there soon for sanity
dreamnofpow
Expert

Yep, CAT doesn't disappoint, excellent snow quality for only 48hrs of snowmaking top to bottom. I hope they make tons of $$$ over the holiday week to make up for last year.
RMacSki
Advanced

CAT is where it's AT
2014-2015 Days On: Like a billion already.
wilks
Beginner

Nice TR, hoping to head out there later this week.

Edit: Cat has had those yellow guns for a while. This photo was taken two years ago: https://www.instagram.com/p/jEx7MfEf8dD ... Oa8f8CNY0/