The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

Whistler/Blackcomb - 3/14/15 - 3/21/15

This is the spot to post your trail and trip reports. Please notify [email protected] when you do so that we can feature the better ones on the front of the website.
RMacSki
Advanced

Finally getting around to posting this...

Had an excellent week up in Whistler/Blackcomb. I'm not feeling too inclined to narrate this story so I'm going to keep it short.

It was apparently the worse season they've had since 2003. The only skiable snow was above the alpine, but these two mountains are so massive, it wasn't that big of a deal. With 50% of the terrain closed, I still needed to whole week to go everywhere I wanted to go.

You pretty much had to stay on groomed runs, as anything off trail was manky, heavy, wet crud. Anything steep was sheer ice. It actually rained on us 2 of the days. The rain would turn to snow at high alpine, but skiing down into the rain wasn't the greatest.

Here's a pic of the base gondola. You can see they had to groom snow all the way to the ski out. There were only a handful of ways to ski to the base and they recommended downloading the gondola instead.

and some aerial views

And here's a whole bunch of pictures without captions because I'm lazy.

Blackcomb Glacier

Respect

Whistler Peak

Pano!

On our last day we woke up to a torrential downpour. Nothing else to do so we geared up and rode up anyway. Up top the rain turned into very heavy, wet snow - but it still skiied better than what they had. Found a few fresh tracks and some drier snow in the trees.

Also stopped for the famous Crystal Hut Waffle

We did the bobsled track - this was awesome!

I had the season of my life. I want to try to continue to top it. 14 days this year from Nashville, TN. Hope you enjoyed.
2014-2015 Days On: Like a billion already.
RMacSki
Advanced

Here's the bobsled if you're interested.

http://www.wscphotos.com/p720214690/e2ce743d7
swamphox
Expert

Looks like u had a good time. Awesome pics. Place is obviously huge. I'm guessing with half it's acerage closed it still has 5x the total acerage of the southeast's combined areas:)

The bobsled was cool. Thatd be fun to try one day
Live slow, die whenever.....

Days on Snow 22-23
Cat 5
app 1
sugar 1
ober 1
winterplace 2
Homewood 3
RMacSki
Advanced

thanks swamp...

Droogie may have been right. not much activity around here.
yardsale
Expert

we're all too jealous to comment.

looks like a good trip, bummer there wasn't more snow to be had this year
:D :) ;) :( :o :shock: :? 8-) :lol: :x :P :oops: :cry: :evil: :twisted: :roll: :!: :?: :idea: :arrow: :| :mrgreen: :geek: :ugeek: