The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

Backyard Pest Control - Sept 24, 2009

This is the spot to post your trail and trip reports. Please notify [email protected] when you do so that we can feature the better ones on the front of the website.
Joshua8200
Intermediate

So I some in from class and let my dogs out in the backyard. I go and get on the computer and I'm checking my email. It's been about 5 minutes and I hear my dog start barking pretty angrily. I jump up and both of my dogs are circling a groundhog in my backyard.

I quickly call them away from it and shut them onto the deck to further investigate. So this groundhog is 'stumbling' around and rolling over and carrying on in circles....Rabies I'm thinking. So I get on the phone to get animal control...nothing they won't respond in the city limits if the animal is alive. Johnson City PD shows up, he's watching it...thinking the same thing. So basically he tells me he has to shoot it and then wait for animal control to come get the carcass.

Here's the carnage:

afrobigfoot
Expert

awesome
2slikstix
Expert
Tagline: Tree Whore

The shotgun is just more fun!!!
"You mean there is Two of them??"
"it's about 10 very heavy inches. I can drive it but it sure will be slow"
Joshua8200
Intermediate

Rabies test on the animal actually came back negative, though I think that could be a false negative because they didn't test the animal until the next day. I read a little bit about the test they do for that and its accuracy drops the longer after the animal is dead that the test is done.

But the dogs are both fine. The vet didn't seem too concerned since they were up to date on their vaccinations and now that it's a couple weeks out they should be fine.
Zone Driven
Expert

whoop his *** sea bass
jbc28
Expert

Posting dead groundhog TR = +10 gnar points

Calling animal control and not just killing it yourself = -100 gnar points and a 30 day man card revocation
SkiCop
Expert

A shotgun? Really? The rabies test is more accurate if the head is intact. I slayed me a coon a while back that was acting the same way. That beast of an animal absorbed about 15 rounds of .22LR Stingers to the body before it finally kicked out. Rabies test was negative, but it had several HUNDRED ticks. The vet said that was what made it get all squirelly.
hardware
Intermediate

jbc28;187450 wrote:
Posting dead groundhog TR = +10 gnar points

Calling animal control and not just killing it yourself = -100 gnar points and a 30 day man card revocation

lol
hnhbaxter
Expert
Tagline: Old School Hall Monitor

SkiCop;187466 wrote:
A shotgun? Really? The rabies test is more accurate if the head is intact. I slayed me a coon a while back that was acting the same way. That beast of an animal absorbed about 15 rounds of .22LR Stingers to the body before it finally kicked out. Rabies test was negative, but it had several HUNDRED ticks. The vet said that was what made it get all squirelly.

22LR? With all the hardware at your disposal you bust out the 22LR? I've lost a little faith in you today...
If you want big air out of me, pull my finger
Joshua8200
Intermediate

@jbc28 187450 wrote:Posting dead groundhog TR = +10 gnar points

Fair enough...you do know that in most cities it is illegal to shoot a firearm inside the city limits. While I don't think my neighbors would have called the police on me for shooting the animal, how many 'bubba' points would I have gained had I been ticketed for shooting a firearm inside the city limits?

Not saying that some folks wouldn't do it, I however don't need that kind of ticket on my record while I am trying to apply for graduate school scholarships and such.