The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

TR: Silverton

This is the spot to post your trail and trip reports. Please notify [email protected] when you do so that we can feature the better ones on the front of the website.
EastCoaster
Expert

I posted up a thread on TGR asking for couches to surf a couple weeks ago, and got a message from maggot Daywalker asking if I wanted to join a trip down to Silverton, CO. Originally KneeDeep was supposed to go, but after a flurry of excuses related to husbandly duties he backed out :D

For those that havent heard of Silverton, go to their website and read: http://www.silvertonmountain.com

More or less, in the day and age of super expensive, overbuilt, high end ski resorts, Silverton is the ski bum's mecca. For example, here is the front desk base lodge:

and here is the resort shop, that also doubles as the rental desk:

The rental shop? A school bus that broke down right above the base area tent and instead of fixing/moving it, they converted it into their rental shop. The skinniest ski in their fleet? K2 Maden AK's. More or less, all they rent are K2 Pontoons and K2 Hellbents. Nowhere else have I seen that many fat skis in the liftline- you name a rockered/reverse camber/megafat ski, chances are I saw it. My Brockers were 116 mm at the waist, and were middle of the pack when it came to ski width. Awesome. Oh, did I mention the scenery yet?

Day 1: Bluebird

It hadnt snowed in a week or so there, but they opened a couple new areas to unguided skiing, so we got in two really nice untracked runs, too good to stop for pics. After that I pulled out the camera to see what I could do...

BUT FIRST LETS SEE A LIFT SHOT

maggot strode420, super cool guy who grew up skiing Aspen and can rip:

Next up, Daywalker, who can also rip. I was the group gaper on this trip:

Wicked good form:

strode420 again:

Daywalker gettin some:

strode rocking the Praxis Pows:

WICKED HIP TURN:

Cruisin...

We were obliged by TGR rule to find something to jump off of. Daywalker took the honors:

No expense spared for their bridges. If you squint, this could be Vail:

Day 2: POW POW

Snowed about 4 inches overnight, and pounded all day. We went guided for this day, got placed in a group of solid skiers/riders, and it paid off. Our guide was awesome, and showed us the goods.It kept getting better and better....

Lurker maggot whose name I forget getting some...

Group member John getting some:

strode again, killing it:

Daywalker:

strode:

Ohhhhh yeahhhhhhhh:

Daywalker ripping down a chute:

Yep, it pretty much kicked a s s :

Fin.
SkiCop
Expert

Wow. Nice.
hnhbaxter
Expert
Tagline: Old School Hall Monitor

ummm....tell me what App has again? Oh, yea NOTHING compared to that $$$
If you want big air out of me, pull my finger
davidski
Expert

awesome -- what an experience ... and great pics as usual

Where are your next stops?
EastCoaster
Expert

In Summit county for the rest of the week. Looks like a nice system could be rolling through mid-week...
codyblank
Expert
Tagline: A place where the beer flows like wine.

Very cool. Looks like a lot of fun. I love the front desk.
Think snowmaking temps.
2slikstix
Expert
Tagline: Tree Whore

Snow looked a little heavy. Nice stuff EC!
"You mean there is Two of them??"
"it's about 10 very heavy inches. I can drive it but it sure will be slow"
dreamnofpow
Expert

and we were bragging about early season conditions..... SICK!
EastCoaster
Expert

Ill be gone before you guys meet up, unfortunately. Two weeks out here is the limit of what I can swing...
pagamony
Advanced

Seriously, thanks very much. I've been by there in a summer and of course have wondered about the much-hyped skiing, and it does look fun. thanks again.