The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

Stone Mountain Snow Mountain TR

This is the spot to post your trail and trip reports. Please notify [email protected] when you do so that we can feature the better ones on the front of the website.
skiatlanta
Advanced

so, while I was busy doing some autocad work for architecture, my parents went to stone mountain and got these photos for me. I had no idea they had started making snow. They open snow mountian dec 31st. Evidently theyhad security people there.

heres a panorama of it

snow with some of my boys in the back

[img]somehow the link wont work, click here.http://www.mediafire.com/imageview.php? ... zy&thumb=5

this makes the snow

TannerP
Expert

I don't get it. Are people so stupid they are going to pay money to go play in some fake snow?
skiatlanta
Advanced

its so people from atlanta can go tubing.
TannerP
Expert

Oh well tubing is understandable.
Tmiller72
Expert

Is that snow or ice chips? Do they just do tubing there?
2019-20

Beech: 10
Snowshoe: 3
Alta: 2
Brighton: 1
Solitude: 1
Jackson Hole: 2
SkiCop
Expert

TannerP;155553 wrote:
I don't get it. Are people so stupid they are going to pay money to go play in some fake snow?

You do.
Dontay
Beginner

Its a cool system go read up if you want.

http://www.snowmagic.com/technology.php
afrobigfoot
Expert

How much does it cost to run a system like this?

It would be neat to see some of the NC resorts add something like this, to fill in the grassy areas during the January thaw.
skipanther
Advanced

@afrobigfoot 155587 wrote:How much does it cost to run a system like this?

It would be neat to see some of the NC resorts add something like this, to fill in the grassy areas during the January thaw.UGGGHHH!January thaw!I hate those words!
Dontay
Beginner

Its expensive. I believe its like $500k . BUT, you can make snow anytime of the year with it. So resorts if they wanted could open from october to april if they wanted. Of course not the whole mountain, as that would cost millions. But get your main slope open early.