The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

Snowshoe Pre-Summit Trip Report, 3/2 - 3/4

This is the spot to post your trail and trip reports. Please notify [email protected] when you do so that we can feature the better ones on the front of the website.
BaZinGa
Advanced

Well, I finally made my way to the message board... after lingering for a few months and posting a few TR's over the past few seasons... seems that a few may have gotten lost in email transition, so here I am.

Due to prior obligations we had to settle for the "pre-summit" trip this year... hopefully we can make atleast one of the group trips next season...

I'm not really sure how to rate this trip... it's kind of like were we a day late or a day early? We arrived at Snowshoe Sunday morning since the Sun-Mon weather forecast was looking better than that of Mon-Tues. As everyone knows, the prior Thurs - Sat were bomber conditions and I couldn't get out of Raleigh fast enough... but Sun. morning was the best we could manage.

Here's our skiNC group that braved the mild spring like conditions:

[if you want to see the pics, check out myspace... since i can't post pics yet!]

ncsu_king

We enjoyed RimFire lodging so much last time that we decided to try it again, but this time with 4 folks in a Jr. Studio. The room was 'cozy,' especially with the murphy bed pulled down and the sleeper sofa pulled out... it also had a decent sized dorm fridge, a two-burner stove, a microwave, a sink, a toaster, gas logs and a standard bathroom... no balcony :x

Finally made the first run about 10:30am and found that all of the previous weeks 16" of pow had been tracked-out or groomed... conditions were still AWESOME though! Widowmaker looked pretty good... if you like moguls with sticky tops and icy bottoms (the afternoon sun really made things interesting... quick in the shade and slam on the brakes in the sunny spots!)

The new Sawmill slope was pretty good too... just keep your speed up at the bottom and stick to the shade or getting over that last hump is a chore:

Cupp Run was looking pretty good:

As was Upper Shay's:

Made it over to Silver Creek before they closed Flying Eagle (not open for night skiing):

Flying Eagle and Bear Claw were in pretty good shape... the lift lines were non-existent @ SC on Sunday afternoon & night, but were a few minutes on Monday night.

It looks like the skiNC crew has already marked the Powdermonkey Lift... I can't take claim to it since no one sent me any stickers before we left... hint hint:

Choker was looking pretty good Monday afternoon too:

Upper Ballhooter was showing a few thin spots Tuesday morning:

As was Widowmaker:

And I think they were getting an early start on the Pond Skimming pit near the top of the Grabhammer Lift Tuesday morning:

So, not too many good things to say about Tuesday, except there were no lift lines... my truck got a real good washin' the whole freakin' drive back to Raleigh and of course, we got the much needed rain in Raleigh :) Luckily we hit the road before noon, so the roads down the mountain were fine... the worst of it was when we got back to NC.

Snow's in the forecast for you guys this weekend, so I'm hoping that you get dumped on... either way, Snowshoe will be GREAT from today until the next big thaw!

Oh yeah, $10 OFF regular price lift ticket with your Harris Teeter VIC Card. Present your card at any Snowshoe Mountain Lift Ticket window and receive $10 off a regular price Snowshoe Lift Ticket. Limit four (4) discounts per household, per day. Valid during the 2007-2008 season.
dj
Advanced

Nice TR. Wish we'd made it ro Snowshoe this year.
Think Snow
Intermediate

BaZinGa
Advanced

Wooohooo... there's one of my pics... thanks! The original TR preview looked pretty sweet with the pics attached... then I got that anti-spammer/hadn't been a member long enough/didn't have enough posts message and had to kill all of the pics... oh well, I should be good for the next TR... if the snow will hold out long enough for me to make it back!

What's up with that youtube link? That's pretty disturbing...
medicskiers
Beginner

I just posted my TR with Pics on the sticky for the Summit.