The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

TR: Sugar Sat. Nov. 23

This is the spot to post your trail and trip reports. Please notify [email protected] when you do so that we can feature the better ones on the front of the website.
RMacSki
Advanced

very nice.

I guess I have to give Sugar another chance. new run looks good.
2014-2015 Days On: Like a billion already.
spydeeTJB
Intermediate

davidski wrote: Spydee the Billy goats are short 176, wide 113 underfoot, and have almost no turning radius, that's what's killing me I think, and that they are burly, I'm used to soft skis
Yeah, I'm anxious to try my new Soul7s (180, 106mm) but have same trepidation on groomers. People I talked to last year said no problem but going from 80mm to 106mm will take some getting used to. I still have my narrower Rossis for typical days of hardpack & light freshies.
sts9shredder
Beginner

I was up there on Saturday and had a great time. Gunther's way is a very refreshing run for NC.
boredtoo
Beginner

You'll love the Soul 7's. I have skied them a few times as rentals and have always been pleased. They really hold a good edge in the hard pack and are great in the crud too.
spydeeTJB wrote:Yeah, I'm anxious to try my new Soul7s (180, 106mm) but have same trepidation on groomers. People I talked to last year said no problem but going from 80mm to 106mm will take some getting used to. I still have my narrower Rossis for typical days of hardpack & light freshies.
pagamony
Advanced

re: Spydee the Billy goats are short 176, wide 113 underfoot

sir, you are approaching square. some kind of unfortunate singularity will happen at that point. gunther's way will no longer exist. I better get there soon.

i have not even looked at my skis yet this year. sad.
davidski
Expert

Pagamony you gonna make it out some this year? We should have had a tuning day, I got lazy about a waxing day and had The guys at Sugar tune and wax my Nomads that morning (they were great) --- My square skis still had their factory tune
sts9shredder wrote:I was up there on Saturday and had a great time. Gunther's way is a very refreshing run for NC.
Hey I wish we'd skiied some runs, I was all green/teal incl. helmet --- maybe we talked or rode a chair it was relatively empty (I hope we haven't already met I would feel foolish, but then.....)
pagamony
Advanced

davidski wrote:Pagamony you gonna make it out some this year? We should have had a tuning day, I got lazy about a waxing day and had The guys at Sugar tune and wax my Nomads that morning (they were great) --- My square skis still had their factory tune
yeah, i feel bad about missing tuning day, but it was not in the cards. this weekend for sure, come on over and have some leftover libation if you are not skiing.
swamphox
Expert

Looked like fun. I'll have a free day eventually and get up there
Live slow, die whenever.....

Days on Snow 22-23
Cat 5
app 1
sugar 1
ober 1
winterplace 2
Homewood 3
skiing rules
Expert

BG's are Great. If you keep a neutral stance w/ forward pressure you can carve the s**t out of groomers with soft snow considering how big a ski they are. Just know what they are. A powder ski that excels in soft snow. If you're in moguls or icy conditions they just aren't going to do much for you. Nothing wrong with narrow skis, except that they aren't cool anymore.