Making My Own Snow

This is the place to post - Non ski-related chit chat, G rated

Profanity and Comments STRONGLY Monitored and enforced. (Keep it Clean!)
Aasnider
Beginner

Sun Nov 13, 2016 9:20 am

It worked! I need to create a YouTube account and out up some videos from this morning but here it is anyway! Made snow from 5 to 7am this morning. The ground temp seemed a bit warm. It took an hour to get a solid dusting then went very quickly to an inch. I think this is because it was melting almost as fast as I could put it down. I'm was running a 1.25 gpm pressure washer and am thinking I'm going to upgrade to a 1.8gpm to increase production. The gun itself seemed to work flawlessly though! A big shoutout and thank you to TSI for all the help!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Aasnider
Beginner

Sun Nov 13, 2016 9:22 am

More pics
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Aasnider
Beginner

Sun Nov 13, 2016 9:24 am

Last one
TSI
Beginner

Sun Nov 13, 2016 9:42 am

Nice work! When it gets down into the low 20's and you can start making it the night before it will really lay it down, that is some good snow for marginal temps. We've always had snow at Christmas if it's cold enough, the kids love it!
18/19
Beech Mtn 1
billh1970
Beginner

Sun Nov 13, 2016 9:56 am

Impressive pictures! Thanks for sharing, and I'm inspired by what's possible.
After pondering for a while I took the jump on Friday and bought a $100 compressor after studying the free plans at
http://www.snsnowmaking.com/2011/

Are the external mixing designs that much more efficient? The internal mixing design doesn't seem very difficult to build and was wondering if I should start with that, and consider trying the external design later?
killglobalwarmingnow
Advanced

Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:18 am

I think I'm going to need to attempt this, thanks for documenting Aasnider, nice work! So why do you need to JB Weld the line?

(And that homemade snowblower looks awesome) Post the how-to!
Aasnider
Beginner

Sun Nov 13, 2016 12:03 pm

TSI-
Yeah I think I need some consistently cooler temps to really get it to build up, it seemed to melt on contact before it started to stick. My daughter loved it! She is 1.5 and while she saw snow last year I doubt she remembered it so it was reassuring to see that she enjoyed herself in it. And I also was able to prove to my wife that all the noise made by the gun, pressure washer, and air compressor was not enough to wake her up in the middle of the night! What type of compressors do you use? I'm going to have to update mine as I had to babysit it during the process. and have been looking at a harbor freight one, but am thinking if I went with a bigger one I could run 2 guns off of it. I need to check my flow in gpm from my well pump but think it can handle 2 guns, plus once I have a bigger compressor I won't nessecarily need another one in the future!

Billh1970-
I have already done some research compressor wise and that one (I'm guessing harbor freight) is on my Christmas list for this year (unless I find/ decide on a bigger one so I can run 2 guns at once). It basically the same compressor I have as far as capacity and size except mine is from the 70s and blew the breaker to my house 4 different times this morning because the electric motor would sometimes bog down. One of the main main reasons for going external was simply because I did not want to kill a compressor. If for any reason you loose air pressure all that water (1500+ PSI) will go shooting into your compressor and destroy it. There is always check valves but ultimately I want to be able to set it up in the evening and just check it every 30 minutes or so until morning. You will have to ask TSI about the efficiency and ability to make snow at more marginal temps with an internal vs external mix. I kind of decided just to go all in and not waste money on an internal knowing ultimately I was going to want an external, but that's just me.

Killglobalwarmingnow-
As for the JB Weld: The air line and the water line need to intersect precisely at what is known as the nucleation nozzle. The reasoning is explained here: http://www.snowathome.com/snowmaking_science.php . As TSI mentioned he made his of galvanized pipe and was able to weld the air output just above the nuk, mine was brass so I did not have that ability. I am almost always on here via my phone but will try to sit down on a computer tonight and compose a how to related to this topic. I'll probably post it as a new thread as this one is already on page 3 and will be a pain to dig though to find the actual construction.
afrobigfoot
Expert

Sun Nov 13, 2016 2:03 pm

That's pretty awesome.
billh1970
Beginner

Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:50 pm

Aasnider-
Thanks for the feedback on the on the check valves and external mixing. I wonder if a check valve could easily freeze in the open position and not work when needed, and that's another reason to go with the external mixing. Yes the compressor I bought is from Harbor Freight and the recommended as acceptable on the snow making webpage. Glad to see how you put together the external mixing design.
TSI
Beginner

Sun Nov 13, 2016 9:32 pm

image.jpeg
I've tried both guns allways had better results with external Nuk, that's where the snow crystal starts. I use 2 upright 60 gallon compressors, since I run 3-4 guns at a time, they don't work that hard keeping up with 12-16 CFM,
18/19
Beech Mtn 1